• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

72 Ole Yeller

Scooter

I too agree that the column was swapped in from a later year. I don't think 72 had a tilt option, but I could be wrong. Just one of those various parts that are not enter changeable between the two types of columns. I believe it's time for serious consideration of a line set ticket on ole yeller. Plus, I need to check id stamp on the motor to confirm the displacement. I've always been under the assumption that it's a 304.

Scooter

Major kudos go up to the guys at IHPA. Ordered the ignition switch online Wednesday night and it arrived Friday morning by noon-o-clock :icon_up: got it installed and seems to work. But still have a gremlin or two lingering around.

Didn't get much done, sigh. Kept getting distracted. My Dad came down for a couple hours today to catch up and have lunch.

Yesterday, I was considering dropping the gas tank to check the pick up tube sending unit. Well, as things go with getting bit by the typical po virus. The rear bumper and hitch is welded and tied into the tank skid plate. Along with cheesy trailer wiring. Why am I not surprised :icon_rolleyes: oh them bubble gum welds. Aint it purdy? At this point, what normally takes a couple hours to drop the tank, will end up an all day project. Then some time to re-do that po virus crapola. Kind of an interesting idea, but not well thought out. Although, it's currently not mandatory for me to drop the tank, but I just wanna check and make sure things are in good order.

Got a real pleasant surprise today, though. I just took the time to check the motor stamped id. And found out that a 345 e is stuffed in ole yeller. Also, 120108a is stamped right under it.

Now, I'm more curious as to what a line set ticket will reveal. One will be ordered soon. In the mean time, it's looking like it will be next weekend when I can take it out for a spin.

Attachments

Scooter

Well, ole yeller goes forward and backwards on its own. But I keep running into old defunct batteries. After going through the second battery that came with this Scout when I got it, I'm now ready to drop in my odyssey battery that I used in my 74 rolled Scout. But since I have been dealing with a swollen water in the right knee the last few weeks, my energy has been basically non existent.

Today, I did get to gutting the original transfer case that I pulled out. Glad I decided to go through with rebuilding it. Had a few of the inner shims come out in pieces. Once I get the housing put through the washer, I will go through the rebuild with the kit that I recently purchased through IHPA.

chico

Take care of that knee. Can't do what we do from wheel chairs.... Well you could but it would be much harder.

Scooter

take care of that knee. Can't do what we do from wheel chairs.... Well you could but it would be much harder.
Thanks. After the cortisone shot last week, the swelling has gone down. But it's still a little stiff and getting some popping in the knee. Got a friend who is actually wheel chair bound himself, that owns and drives his a 75 IH 1100 truck and his 79 Scout II.

Well if it aint one thing or another. After replace exhaust manifold gaskets and donuts, I had issues with an exhaust leak on the driver side right at the donut where the pipe meets the manifold. No matter what I tried, short of pulling the whole exhaust system out, I couldn't get it to seal correctly. So I ended up cutting a piece of the pipe out and bending the 90* back to roughly 80-85* or something like that. The photo shows the section of what I dealt with most of the day. Just got finished mounting it and welded it back in place. Worked like a charm. Nice little quiet rumble going on. Now I can finish welding the exhaust brackets back on and time it, among a few other things and possibly drive it around the block.

Attachments

Scooter

Just finished up rebuilding the d-20 transfer case a few days ago. All new bearings and seals, along with eliminating the two shifter rail pills for twin stick conversion. Currently stored on the shelf till I actually get to putting the 727 auto trans back together. Other financial obligations sort of preventing me from ordering the gear ratio change in the transmission. Once I get to putting the trans back together, I will tackle fabing up the two shifters for the t.c. Before I actually pieced the t.c. Together, I had a friend, who works for a powder coating company, take it to his work to cook and clean the t.c. Housing. Then he coated it with a zink coating of some sort to prevent rusting. Something they do on products like this to prevent rusting out from under the paint. I didn't find a need to actually get this one powder coated. It wont be a show rig, so I just rattle canned it before I stored it up on the shelf

Attachments

Scooter

Sigh!!!. Got bit by the po bug. I'm about to beat these guys over the head with the fugly stick. Turns out that I needed to drop the fuel tank due to not getting fuel to the new fuel pump I just replaced last weekend. The sending unit pick up tube is plugged up.

But, in order to drop the tank, I end up having to deal with the po virus. The hitch welded to both the rear bumper and tank skid plate. What were these knuckle heads thinking? Got their heads up their butts.

If the po kept this Scout, I guess he never planned on dropping the tank to service the sending unit or the tank itself.:rolleyes5:

now off to drop the tank

Attachments

Scoutboy74

Sheeyit kimball...that's a pyur dee dam faktree traylur draggin' pakidge! That there was a Dad burned hi dollar opshun wut had to be checkd of'n the ordur sheet at purchus tyme. Dubble check yer daggum line set ticket and then tell me I'm full of it.:icon_razz:
it would be very difficult to convict the average po of being a long-term thinker in any court of law. That fine example of redneck injinooitee was born of necessity and zero budget. Whoever did it probably figured the rig would wind up in the scrap yard well before the tank ever needed to be dropped for any reason.

Scooter

Gotta luv them chew chompen bubble gum welden gun slingers.

Pulled the tank with crusty hoses along with duct tape holding vent tube in place :incazzato::icon_rolleyes:

surprisingly, the sending unit looked to be in good shape. But since the one vent tube on top of the tank is completely broken free, I will be swapping tanks with a known good tank that I've got laying around.

Attachments

Scooter

Well, in preparation of getting this thing road worthy, I'm finally getting around to fixing/replacing something that's been bugging me ever since I've had this Scout. New u-bolts and spring plates for the front axle. Due to the bent u-bolts, I ended up using the gas axe in order to cut out the old crap.

Turns out, that there's another issue that became apparent when I started cutting out the u-bolts around the diff pumpkin. The spring pack pin is missing. The leafs started to separate while I was removing the old u-bolts and brackets. :mad2:
now I'm kinda stuck on hold till Monday when I can call up and order a new pin. And since I'm at it I plan on ordering the same parts for the rear end.

Scooter

Finally, after clearing out the front half of my cave and finishing up the u-bolt, spring plates and leaf spring bushings for the front end, I was able to actually drive ole' yeller out and drive up & down the street. First time, since I have had this rig, that it's been able to have forward motion on its own power. The spare used transmission seems ok for the moment. The true test, for when I get it insured and registered off non-op, is to actually drive it around town.

Attachments

Scooter

Just got done replacing the rear spring bushings. And it looks like I May ultimately need to do some surgery and/or replacement of the rear axle housing. I was hoping that I had another pair of spring center pins, since one pin is whooped and barely holding the leafs together. Apparently there was some axle shifting on left side that caused the hole, that the leaf's centering pin sits in the spring perch to get wobbled out and oblong. :icon_eh: it will have to wait for another day. Going to baby it until another rainy day of maintenance.

Scooter this thing running yet buddy? I think I got you beat, the Scout 80 is finally running perfectly and was worth the wait.

Did all the upgrades we discussed (petronix, weber 32/36, new exhaust, new radiator with electric fan) and wait for it... 4 speed mated to a Dana 20 with terra low.

Goog for at least 51% of that v8 you said I should have gotten!

Hope you're well...

Scooter

Yup, it's running and can be driven. But this rig will be more for mall cruising, with limited camping and light trails, and wont be much of a wheeler like my other beast.

But, ever since I have had this rig, at least one of the problematic bulkhead connectors has been falling apart and refuses to stay connected. Along with some po virus hack work. Plus, I feel that replacing the 43 year old oem wiring is looking better all the time.

With a few recent parts order purchases for two of my own scouts, here's a preview of what's to come in the next few weeks for this ole girl.
22 circuit

Attachments

Last edited:

Scooter

Thank you for the links and heads up. If my current oem wiring was in decent shape, and had atc blade style fuses, I would have considered just upgrading to the delphi style weatherpack bulkhead connector.

I have done a few complete re-wires over the years, including one with the kwik wire 14 circuit on a 69 Scout 800. And have incorporated some weatherpack connectors in several areas, depending on application.

Scooter

After spending the last few months, or so, of working on other members rigs, I'm finally getting a chance to get back to working on my own Scout/s. Part of the trade off of working on another person's Scout is swapping for parts or supplies. Thanks to silverscout, 'ole yeller' is getting new shoes. When I first got this Scout, it had two pairs of un-matching donuts, along with one having a plug in the inner side, wall causing a slow leak. Yesterday, I spent a better part of the day doing some tire/rim swapping. The rims ole yeller is sporting now came off an old '90 Bronco that I had 10 years ago.
New Tires.jpg
New Tires - Installed.jpg

Now onto complete re-wire and other maintenance items

Scooter

Finally spent most of this weekend gutting the old wiring and mounting new fuse box/wire harness. Also patched up the old holes left behind. Along with plugging up a few po hacked hole that wasn't needed.

Old holes:

20150627_111938.jpg
20150627_112615.jpg

Patched up:

20150628_161920.jpg
20150628_161930.jpg

Mounted fuse block onto the firewall under the dash. Just between the e-brake and other pedals. Saga continues next weekend when I have a 4 day weekend. Unless a side job gets in the way

20150628_180635.jpg
20150628_180745.jpg