• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

72 Ole Yeller

Scooter

While doing the wiring, I realized that the one maintenance issue that I didn't do, was intake and valley pan gasket replacement. Well, once I tore into it, ran into a freken po bug. Some knuckle head used a bucket full of blue snot called sillycone on the valley pan gasket. Turns out, upon further inspection, that the valley pan itself was warped and bent out of shape. And that blue snot was a piss poor fix. Luckily, thanks much to fdchappie, I was able to acquire another one in decent usable shape. In the mean time I figured I do something similar to what I did with my 73 beast. And this is what I ended up with.
Powder coated chrome
IMG_20150804_1442256991.jpg

Hot out of the oven
IMG_20150806_0553011451.jpg
IMG_20150806_0552351101.jpg

Btw it's transparent copper
20150809_143542.jpg
20150809_143900.jpg
20150814_092618.jpg
20150814_145150.jpg
20150815_195227.jpg
20150815_195245.jpg

And this is how it's done in my little cubby hole of a cave
20150814_141559.jpg

Now I can tidy up and finish the wiring in the engine compartment. Also, one other issue that I need to address - is the little hole in the front of the block for a dip stick tube. Since this a Scout motor with the dip stick in side of oil pan, I don't need the one in the front. So the fun begins of plugging it while the motor is in place

Last edited:

punjig

That color is awesome!!! :cornut:
add a mud and water hole and you got yourself a rootbeer float!:icon_lol:
it really does look cool!

Scooter

Thank you for the complements. Currently don't have much in the way of progress. I still need to finish up the complete re-wire and transmission rebuild. My full time job keeps getting in the way. I was actually skeptical at first about the color when my friend first told me about it. Then after some google searching and digging up an old photo of another friends boat motor, I started to like it more and more. The photo is a furd 460 in a boat

Attachments

Scooter

Well, this has been a long drawn out build. Was hoping to have this up and running by now. But, life and work gets in the way. Which translates to no wrench time this weekend. But, last weekend, I did manage to finish up the over sized fuel tank and install it. Even with a slight snag of 3 of the mounting tabs off the tank falling short a 1/2" to the frame cross member under the tailgate. So I had to cut the tabs off and fab up new ones.

20151213_120004.jpg
20151213_120055.jpg

I have also set this tank up for future plans of going efi at some point. And I routed the internal fuel pick up tubes to all four corners of the tank and hooked up to walboro fuel pick ups
20150828_154302.jpg
20150828_154725.jpg

Along with a baffle so to speak in center of tank
20150828_154323.jpg

When I first picked up this tank about 10 yrs ago from the jy, it had a drain plug in the bottom right corner. Nice idea but slightly a pita with a plug and being so low on the tank. I wanted an easier way to drain the tank if needed for servicing. So, a drain peacock was installed. Along with some added protection.
20151118_172227.jpg
20151115_170833.jpg
20151118_172242.jpg

One more added feature. In order to be able to service the inside of the tank. I fabed up the top and some angle steel. After lots of measuring, welding, and lots of drilling and tapping, I came up with this.
20151122_064305.jpg
20151122_105517.jpg

During this fuel tank swap, I realized that the filler tube was made out plastic pos. Fortunately, I have had several metal versions sitting here on the shelf. So I swapped that out.

Also, never mind the yellow wire dangling from the right rear shackle. That will be tucked away neatly till needed. That's for an electric fuel pump that hasn't been installed yet. That will be done when I get to the point of actually going efi. Now I need to hook up all the vent and filler tube hoses.

**edit**
fixed the phot links

Last edited:

Scooter

Finally getting something accomplished. Trans rebuild is complete. Now I need to pull out the pos used tranny :incazzato: that I made the mistake of purchasing. Might just get busy doing the trans swap next weekend. Unless I get sidetracked with playing with my new plasma cutter, when it comes in next Thursday. I had already rebuilt the d-20 transfer case awhile ago, that's sitting on the shelf waiting patiently. Just several things being checked off my laundry list of things to do to make this Scout road worthy.

As some May recall in another thread elsewhere, I have a defunct wiper motor. The plastic gear is buggered up and apparently made of unobtainium. Plus, the motor is in need of a rebuild. Through another local IH member, who turned me onto a possible source, I ordered a 2 speed wiper motor that has the potential of a being a good Scout II replacement. I will post up more about it next week when it comes in. Unless I'm doing the tranny swap, then it will be a week or two for me to know for sure if this new wiper motor will work or not.

Attachments

Scooter

Been a few months since I posted my last update. Rebuilt trans is installed and half filled with fluid. I still have another gallon of red juice to add. Within the last few weeks, I changed the pan gasket on the motor. New oil awaitng to be poured in. Also replaced the heater hoses along with a new plastic heater control valve. Spent half the day today completely piecing my drivers door back together with power windows. Passenger side is having issues with power up. Currently struggles and stops half way up. The chrome frame in the wind wing is cracked. And the roll up/down window is starting to do the same. So, I plan on swapping the glass out with some spares that I have laying around. Recently, since my manual choke cable was so long, I ended up cutting roughly two feet off the end just to be able to have a decent routing to the carb with out kinking it. Also, since most the work on motor is mostly done, I mounted the air cleaner. And awhile ago, I took the time to install the fan shroud.

Attachments

Scooter

Finally been able to get a little wrench time in the last couple weeks. Found out last week that my alternator was bad. So I ended up getting a rebuilt one from a local repair shop a couple days ago and installed today. Roughly 14.8 volts at idle. I would take it out for a test drive, but I don't exactly trust the battery enough to start back up if stalled out. Plus, I need to reinstall the gauges.

Scoutboy74

That seems a fuzz high at idle, Kimball. 13.8 to 14.4 is more typical depending on battery status and current loads. Might wanna keep a close watch on that.

Scooter

Indeed. Might be due to an extremely low battery. Started off with just over 10v on battery when I had to jump off my 2002 yoda. After idling for about half an hour, several times, battery was holding just over 12v.

Just one more thing that I plan on replacing soon, is the battery. My current one doesn't have enough gogo cranken juice.

Scoutboy74

Oh yeah. That'll do it. Alternators definitely struggle and strain to replenish severely depleted batteries.

Scooter

While slowly getting her to be road worthy, I decided to do a little breather/vent relocating. The bracket was a simpson strong tie angle bracket from home depot that I chucked up in an ole bridgeport at work, drilled and cut to fit the fittings that I purchased through egay.

Front axle, transmission, transfer case and trans adaper to TC are now breathing through the filters up on the firewall.for the 5th empty filter, eventually, I will route tubing for the rear axle.
20180112_174308.jpg
20180114_094133.jpg

I also purchased a new battery. No more need to jump start off my yota to get her started. Hopefully, within the next couple weeks, I will be able to start driving and enjoying ole yeller. Instead of staring at a huge door stopper

Scooter

Well, finally, after months of procrastination, lack of funds and time, last Friday, I got her insured, registered and was able to legally drive her out of storage and take her home. Furthest I ever drove this since I owned it. Long story.

Handle exactly how I expected. Like crap. Typical scout wandering, along with a P.O. piss poor job of an install of a crappie tilt steering column. I'm kicking myself in the butt for not replacing the column when I had a chance, along with doing the shackle reversal install when I still had a shop space with power. I already have the reversal kit on the shelf. And went against my better judgement of wanting to see how it handled before I did the install:out::nono:

Be about a month before any new updates. But future plans of reinstalling the front bumper with a possibility of a winch, along with a dual battery install. So stay tuned:thumbsup:

Scooter

Well, I somewhat retract my thought if driving like crap. Guess that I been getting a little spoiled with the creature comforts of my '02 yoda sequioa. Coupled with not driving my own scout in about 4 years.

It drives like an old truck. With the typical road manners of scout wander. I had a chance to drive it around town a couple times this week. I kind of surprised myself, that the 727 didn't puke all over the place. Since that trans was the first Chrysler transmission that I ever rebuilt on my own bench. Felt like I need to do some band adjustments, overall seemed to be okay. Although, trans temp seemed to be getting high at 190*. So I will be looking unto that as well. Currently have othdr obligations at the moment, so it will be a few weeks till I get to it.

Also, the non-stock tilt column will need to be replaced. Hopefully with a non-tilt version.

Scooter

20180318_111931.jpg
Now the fun begins. Dual rectifier and second (group 27) battery on hand. Getting ready to install the dual battery setup. I'm considering installing the 2nd battery in the bed between the passenger rear wheel well and the tailgate. Once things get mounted and installation of cables, I will post more photos and details.in the meantime, I need to order up a battery box and 1/0 cable. Just haven't calculated how much length of cable will be needed yet

Scooter

Spent some time installing the battery box and battery isolator. Since my plan is to route 1/0 gauge cable from the inverter to the battery box at the tailgate, under the length of the cab, I mounted a pair of through bulkhead connectors next to the box.
20180429_131223.jpg
20180429_131206.jpg

Here's a shot of the group 27 battery that I will be using as my second battery, along with the DC to AC inverter that will be mounted near the box by the tailgate.
20180429_131234.jpg

Scooter

After driving Ole yeller around town the last few months, I got tired of not having a rearview mirror that normally gets glued onto the windshield. The original mirror had fallen off at some point before I acquired this rig.
20180506_101358.jpg

As I was searching in my storage for something else, unrelated, I decided to take care of mounting this mirror, that I managed to salvage from my rolled scout. Surprisingly, the mirror didn't get crushed.
20180506_101310.jpg

Scooter

With the help of a friends driveway, and a few days of work, I finally took the time to install this shackle reversal kit that I have had on the shelf for the last 3 or 4 years.
20181230_092830.jpg
20181230_112146.jpg
20181230_154753.jpg
20190104_143018.jpg

What a difference. Handles much better now. Wish that I would have done this a few years ago. Procrastination got the better of me. Now, I can move onto other maintenance issues, like completely rebuilding both rear and front axles. More on that soon

Scooter

Out with the old and in with the new. When I recently installed the shackle reversal kit, I noticed that the old front shocks were at least an inch toi short. I needed new shocks anyways. And since I had to return my old calipers in for core charge refund, I payed a visit to our friends at IHPA to apply the credit to these new shocks.
20190119_085408.jpg
20190119_091122.jpg
20190119_093232.jpg

Now time for a drive

Scooter

Teralow gears D-20 transfer case just installed. I had this Teralow gear built D-20 sitting on the shelf forabout 10 years or so for another project that I never got around to. I have been wanting to install it here for the last 5 years. But the bull gear that I had was for the manual transmission, but Ole Yeller has the 727 automatic. Two weeks ago, I scored a Teralow bull gear for the automatic.
20190903_174125.jpg
The top two gears are the Teralow gears, manual and automatic. The bottom gear is the OEM bull gear.
When I built the transfer case, I modified the shifter rail for fully twin stick application. I, also, added the Advanced Adapters 32 spline upgrade output shaft in the rear.
20190901_130002.jpg

Here are my home made shifters. Crude but effective.
20190901_121716.jpg

The dbl cardian drive shaft next to the new OEM drive shaft20190901_125833.jpg