• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Before and After of My Scout 80 CS

Mastiff

4" bolt cl shackle will give you a bit more than 3/4 lift.

4 degree is perfect to compensate for the shackle. You don't need any for the spring lift as it won't alter caster. 6 would be to much.
The goal up front is to get the caster right. Was your goal in back to get the pinion angle correct with respect to the t-case output? On my k5 I worked to get the pinion angle to match the output angle in order to kill u-joint vibration. In the end it didn't work and I ended up with a cv driveshaft.

I just wanted to make sure you thought 4* seemed about right for the rear too, and that I understood the reasoning.

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
While the springs are different lengths and the shackle will alter there angle differently the 4deg will work fine in the rear also.

Front goal is two fold. Caster angle and pinion angle to remain the same as oem, because it behaved well and was inherently stable on the highway. No need to mess up a good thing. Other than the bump steer I am correcting I can take my hand off the wheel and it stays its course so long as the pavement is somewhat smooth.

On the rear my goal was to maintain the same relative output shaft to pinion angle as the oem. My setup is very quiet as I have it.

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
I have the knuckles back on and back plates cleaned up. I had to replace one brass cone because the spline was loose. At least I had some. Tomorrow I fill finish assembling it and start building the new tierod parts. I am machining the draglink attach point out of 1075 steel and threading the tierod end for the right side into it. That should allow for the longest possible drag link and best motion.

Last edited:

Mastiff

Robert, I May have missed it, but what brand/model tires did you find? It looks like the interco factory is down for a few months or something. :icon_rolleyes: jc whitney took my money for the 32x9.5x15's, but I think they just forwarded it along to the factory who is backordered... Sucks because I already have the new wheels here.

I can't find anything else in a skinny 32". The closest is 32x10.5 on 16" rim.

Mastiff

Thanks. Looks like you could have gone skinnier even if you had wanted with the lt235/85r16. Too bad for me I have four new 15" wheels in boxes. There are lots more options in 16" rims it looks like. I still might rather wait than go to the trouble and expense of returning the rims. I think it could be months though. :mad:

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
thanks. Looks like you could have gone skinnier even if you had wanted with the lt235/85r16. :mad:

I saw the 235 and it looked funny and would be a stretch for the rim.
The 16" rim was a conscious decision because of and along with the tire availability. I felt like this while I went back and forth. :icon_rotate:.........:crazy:

Mastiff

I was surfing around and stumbled across the reverse shackle stuff. Have you considered that in your quest for a better ride?

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
No because I am generally happy with the Scout's ride quality. Also the rev shackle requires major irreversible mods which I refuse to do. Unless it is a bolt on/off deal I won't do it. :icon_rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mastiff

no because I am generally happy with the Scout's ride quality. Also the rev shackle requires major irreversible mods which I refuse to do. Unless it is a bolt on/off deal I won't do it. :icon_rolleyes:
Somehow I don't believe that... But it sounds like the rev shackle thing is more to smooth out the ride than to improve handling? Not sure. I still need to figure out why my handling seems to have gone down the tubes with the lift. I was driving through a construction zone with narrow, bumpy road in between barriers and it was kind of scary.

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
somehow I don't believe that...
:skep:
I have said from the begining that other that bump steer which I am fixing the ride firmness is generaly ok. I have not ever cut my Scout for a mod and kept all oem parts including the springs.

I drove it as it is now to mammoth and back some 700 miles and it was ok even with the Lancaster cross wind.

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
I do not like to post in Robert's ride thread, so I will delete this post later today ...

Do not know much about lifts, but from reading other people's post...

You have a steering geometry problem (one "symptom" is what Robert states is bump steer) and / or an alignment problem...

A reverse shackle kit will not fix a steering geometry problem or an alignment problem.

Robert's bump steer problem is probably "manageable" to him because his lift is not as "high" as yours... But, he still plans on fixing it
Not to contradict your post Robert but mastiff actually has a slightly shorter lift then I do, by no more 1/4" from the details he has posted. I suspect as you have said that it can be dialed in fairly easily ans is a geometry issue but not caster as he has the caster correction I do. Might be a steering box lash issue. I am sure he is suffering from bump-steer though.

Mastiff - I know your box is in good working order but you might add 1/8 turn more preload to it and see if that helps.

I would like these be moved to a post to address mastiff's specific problems and that way he can get the help he needs.

Last edited:

Mastiff

:skep:
I have said from the begining that other that bump steer which I am fixing the ride firmness is generaly ok. I have not ever cut my Scout for a mod and kept all oem parts including the springs.

I drove it as it is now to mammoth and back some 700 miles and it was ok even with the Lancaster cross wind.
I just meant that was a strange statement (only doing bolt ons) coming from a guy who machines his own stuff, but then I haven't heard you mention doing anything that isn't reversible, as you say above. Certainly no offense intended.

I think I've got 1/4" of lift on you at best, so my issue must be something a little more subtle. I won't clutter your thread with that though.

Edit: we're posting simultaneously. Now that you mention it, I guess my shackles were shorter than your, not longer. You May have 1/4" on me. Either way, that's probably not the issue.

Mastiff

I saw the 235 and it looked funny and would be a stretch for the rim.
The 16" rim was a conscious decision because of and along with the tire availability. I felt like this while I went back and forth. :icon_rotate:.........:crazy:
Did you just think the 235 looked too skinny? I have 35x9.5" tires on my pickup and like the look. I'm trying to decide what to do now since jc whitney canceled my tire order. Apparently, the swamper factory is down for ~6 months. I'm returning my 15" rims and am back to square one. The 235/85r16 is very close in size to the swamper I picked, but then I never saw that one in person either.

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
did you just think the 235 looked too skinny? I have 35x9.5" tires on my pickup and like the look. I'm trying to decide what to do now since jc whitney canceled my tire order. Apparently, the swamper factory is down for ~6 months. I'm returning my 15" rims and am back to square one. The 235/85r16 is very close in size to the swamper I picked, but then I never saw that one in person either.
Sorry dude , I missed your post. Out to lunch I guess. :icon_blaugh::out:

I was worried to have a funny side wall bulge. I like to see the side wall a bit rounded. To get that the tread will need to be close to the rim width give or take 1/2". All I can say if give her a try, can't tell till you mount'em and bolt them on whether you will like them.

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
Tie rod flip is complete. I have some commitments that are high priority but after working on those all weekend I figured since Monday was a dayoff from work I'd finish this project up.

Bump steer is gone I am happy to say. I had an issue with the tierod/draglink interface hitting the shock when close to the right turn screw stop. Scared me for a bit but I was able to shift tie tierod over toward the passenger side and it goes right around the shock and hits the stop easily.

I won't build this again. Way to much machining to make my self happy. But...... Its driving again.:thumbsup:

of course some pictures....... I've got to wire brush and paint the fa when I have time :frown2:

P1010414 (Medium).JPG

P1010418 (Medium).JPG

P1010419 (Medium).JPG

P1010420 (Medium).JPG

P1010430 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

Michael Mayben

IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online
Supernice!

So what you really mean is...ya ain't gonna put this guapo in production anytime soon?

Mastiff

That looks like a first class job. Very nice!

If you need a tester for a Dana 30 version, let me know. :d