• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Dana/Spicer Transfer Case Guapo

arthrsanc

I am starting the process of converting my '72 Scout II with a 304 to a sbc linked to a 704r non electronic (I think unless someone has a better idea?)...

Is there an adaptor to hook up a GM 704r to the Scout II Dana 20? I haven't found on at aa. If not is it better to rebuild the Dana 20 with a 6 spline input vs the 23 spline that is currently in it or am I better off replacing the tc altogether? If so is it east to change over to the Jeep Dana 300?

Thanks in advance!!
Art

Scooter

Yes there is an adapter between the 700r4 to the stock Scout Dana 20 transfer casr. There was a memeber here in the forum that was selling that adapter(as used) within the last year. Not sure if he sold it or not.

I don't remember who actually made that adapter. You can give the guys a call up at IH Parts America to find out. Click on the store link up at the top of the page which will take you to the online store. If the part is not listed on the web site, then call them up. Not everything they sell is listed

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I am starting the process of converting my '72 Scout II with a 304 to a sbc linked to a 704r non electronic (I think unless someone has a better idea?)...

Is there an adaptor to hook up a GM 704r to the Scout II Dana 20? I haven't found on at aa. If not is it better to rebuild the Dana 20 with a 6 spline input vs the 23 spline that is currently in it or am I better off replacing the tc altogether? If so is it east to change over to the Jeep Dana 300?

Thanks in advance!!
Art
I assume you are looking for this adapter?

700r4 to Dana 20/300 transfer case - International Scout parts

Hondo

This looks like the place for Dana 300 questions. Rebuilding a Dana 300 out of an 80 diesel for my 75 Scout II with a 258. Got the d300 all torn down and found marks on the front output shaft's rear cover from the bearings race spinning. Measured the endplay before tearing it down, and it was too small at .0005. Believe it should be from .002-.005 - could feel no fore aft movement at all. The literature I have says the race should be a slip fit to light press fit into the case. I can spin it freely and even rock it a tad in the case bore. How bad is this? Can I set up the end play with new bearings and then use green non hardening permatex or loctite retaining compound 35 to lock the race back in place?, get the case sleeved and bored? Locate a new case? Or am I just freaking and this is normal- kind of doubt it.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I would peen it and then use sleeve retaining loctite upon final assembly. After that I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Hondo

Thanks Jeff, this is my first transfer case rebuild, so am a little nervous here. Did some research and it looks like loctite 640 sleeve and bearing retainer is the ticket. Went out and picked up a 20 ton press at h.f. On black Friday which made pressing off the bearings during disassembly a piece of cake.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I would say that is normal wear. Although not worn out that part is well worn. You May want to replace that with a new or good used one if you have the chance.

Hondo

Ok, thanks. Kind of what I figured, the clutch collar fits tighter on the gear when turned around, so it's probably pretty well worn in as well. May end up upgrading to one of the beefier rear output shaft kits from jb or advance adaptors. Don't like the tera flex setup because it's not compatible with the old analog speedometer.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
ok, thanks. Kind of what I figured, the clutch collar fits tighter on the gear when turned around, so it's probably pretty well worn in as well. May end up upgrading to one of the beefier rear output shaft kits from jb or advance adaptors. Don't like the tera flex setup because it's not compatible with the old analog speedometer.
We can source a lot of the parts for the Dana 300 including the clutch collar. If you decide to go with a heavy duty output from advance adapters let us know as we are an aa dealer.

Hondo

Anybody know how to get this type of retaining ring on? Know what I want, old mechanic down the street used to have a pair of reverse acting duckbill pliers that were knurled on the out side of the jaws for removing lifters. Its on an aa d300 heavy duty output shaft.

Attachments

Hondo

Quick d300 assembly question, everything I've read says to use "grease" on all friction surfaces during assembly. Pretty broad term there. Do I need some heavy type bearing grease, or will the red line synthetic engine assembly lube I'm planning to use be ok? Talking mainly splines, and where the gears spin on the input/output shafts.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Light grease is fine. I personally use gear oil on all my bearings and other internal parts when assembling a transfer case. Basically whatever lube I plan on running will be used on assembly.

Hondo

Thanks Jeff, will stick with the red assembly lube I'm using then. Plan to run mt 90 in it, kind of expensive stuff, but doesn't take a whole lot. Getting close, got the front output shaft endplay set up last night, want to install the rear output assembly and make sure the intermediate gear is going to drop in ok before I start sealing everything up.

Attachments

Craig

transfer case miesters, this is a Dana 300 question. Is this normal wear on the splined drive gear on the rear output shaft? This would be the front half of the gear that sees the most use - when transfer case is in 2-hi and it's coupled to the bull gear.
Fwiw the offset keeps the transfer case from popping out of gear.

Hondo

Those ain't offsets on the rear output shaft, the teeth measure about .030 thinner on the worn side, and fairly even on both sides of the teeth. Picture is of a brandy new aa heavy duty output shaft with no wear yet. No offsets there.

Attachments

Craig

Fwiw, I guess aa is not making them to Dana spec then.

Bummer

jb conversions, very faint to see but they have the tits, but could be an old photo, a call would be needed to confirm

Looks like all the aftermarket shafts are missing the tits.

Here is a tear down and you can see them here.

I sure hope your case does not pop out of gear.

Last edited:

Hondo

Nice pics Craig. I actually found a new Dana front output shaft that has the tits. I'm twin sticking it, and have installed heavy duty detent springs, so hopefully it won't be popping out.