• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Before and After of My Scout 80 CS

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
Drove it to work/back and around a bunch, it's definitely way better. From what I can measure with a tape I have about 3/16 toe in. It's still a Scout but a Scout with good road manners. Now time to make her an athletic Scout.

supernice!

So what you really mean is...ya ain't gonna put this guapo in production anytime soon?
Well for right now anyway. Who knows what will end up happening.

nice setup! You could post a how-to.
Really a simple install once the machine work is done. Sure you will see it at a club meeting or function. Can see what I mean then.

that looks like a first class job. Very nice!

If you need a tester for a Dana 30 version, let me know. :d
A closed knuckle d30? Should be very close if not exactly the same as a d27 in the steering linkage area. So test in progress. :winky:

Last edited:
Windshield frame latch

Hey Robert- f'in awesome job on the Scout, man. Well done.
Also, any way you could "repop" me one of those windshield frame latch doohickeys? One unobtanium piece at a time,right? Have money, will travel...

Last edited:

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
One of those can be aquired via other channles. Each scrapped Scout 80 has one and the time to make one is not justified. All I'd do would be to find a frame and grind off the little welds then weld it on your Scout. Even better swap in a new frame. Probably a 1-2 hour job tops. That will remove the extra holes. :)

newie

Amazing job with your Scout, very motivating!
Not much of a technical question, but where did you pick up the bumpers?

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
Thank you for the compliments. I enjoy it a lot.

The front bumper is the original one that I re-welded the cracks on and had it restored. The rear I bought off of ebay and had straightened and restored.

cottow

Curious if you have a lift on this or just some 31" tires. What make are those rime...perfect fit for the car. Love the look and great job.

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
I have 2-1/2" (supposedly) lift springs and about .75 from shackles (shackles 1-1/2 " longer). The tires are 32-10.50 (measured).
Thanks for the kind words.

Jazman1966

She is a real beauty. Mine is in process and so close to being on the road it almost hurts. Hope mine is as nice as yours someday. (progress posted in reader rigs) I have read through most of your post here so I hope I don't repeat a question that was already asked but I noticed you had the LST for your Scout. Mine does not have one but you mentioned you got yours from whs. I went to the site but did not see any listed in the documents for download. Did you just contact them directly? Mine is struggling running rough with a timing issue. Can't seemed to get it timed because it is jumping all over, but that is post for another forum. :icon_crying:

cottow

Not looking to hijack this thread but couldn't find a simple answer and being I love the stance of this truck hoping I can get a solid answer.

Stock 1968 Scout 800 w/ 266. I May wind up doing a small lift but for now stands just fine. Whats the suggestions on shocks...not looking for off roading or anything crazy. Just a good shock that can support possibly a small lift and 31" tires.

Thanks

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
Finally got time to start working on the Scout again. I found a NOS set of Champagne Series sun visors. I had the original ones but the outer covers were gone. I just had them recovered but they were never right.

A couple of pictures after installation. Buffed the 10 year old re-chromed catch brackets and screws.. I also installed a set of correct NOS end clips that I had stashed away.

Next is to remove the dash and repaint it the correct color.

IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2861.jpg

Last edited:

Greg R

Yeah, I did a bit of sprucing up yesterday. Took some chrome polish to the gauge rings. What a difference! Then some Amsoil MP to the carb body with a Q-tip. No more white rust. It dries to a film that doesn't attract dirt like oil does. A little here, a little there; it all adds up to keeping it all good.

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
I guess this was worth the almost 2 year wait. Many phone calls, and what ended up with a serious threat to take legal action against them, I finally received my reproduction door panels. I think they did a good job once they were poked, and prodded. :rolleyes5:

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg