• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

    So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

    Thank you for your understanding.

    Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

1979 International Scout II

I had made two dummy bearings for the carrier so I can easily take them off to adjust for side to side clearances in the housing. All I had on hand was some grinding stones with a 1/4 shaft and attached to my drill to grind down the inside of the bearing, just enough to slide on and off the carrier
 

Attachments

Added dummy bearing to carrier and slid into housing to check for total side to side movement, so I can get a total shim count. This would give me a good idea of thickness I will need to add to the carrier.
 

Attachments

I got roughly 0.0550 for my side to side movement. My first attempt I got roughly 0.0630 and I could not get the carrier back in the housing after adding shims. So a good point to make is make sure you pick a good flat surface to measure off of or your numbers will be off. I added a magnet, as you can see in the picture. With this being added I got a consistent value of 0.0550. I adjusted my shims and the carrier fit in snug with little light tapping of a dead blow to the bearing races.
 

Attachments

I then measured the oil slinger thickness because I knew it would add to the height of the pinion but youll later see I forgot add to my shim calculations.
 

Attachments

I then took my numbers (except for oil slinger), added them up and subtracted my added measurement of the baffle. This number gave me a starting point for my shim count under the inner pinion race.
 

Attachments

Inserted pinion setup so I can measure for distance of side to side movement from pinion and ring contact point, and bearing seat position in housing. I must have deleted the picture, but I ended up with a 0.0170" movement.
 

Attachments

I took the number I got and subtracted from the total shim count I got when I measured for total movement without pinion in place. The 0.0170 went on the ring side bearing and the 0.0380 went onto the opposite bearing.
 

Attachments

Before I started to rotating the ring, I made sure to tighten down bearing caps and pinon. I learned that not tightening the pinon, the pinion would shift/catch and move a little. I wanted to get the best markings I could, especially since this is my first attempt at rebuilding an axle. I made sure that I put the correct bearing caps back to their original locations and marked with paint to high light stamps as they were hard to see.
 

Attachments

I added pressure to the top of the ring and rotated front to back, while maintaining pressure. I also kept my hand on the yoke neck to keep some resistance in the pinion as I rotated. As you can see I got a high marking on the coast side and a low marking on the drive side. So with a little searching I seen that I needed to adjust my pinion height. I needed to lower my shim count, which would have been a bigger adjustment if I added my measurement of the oil slinger.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Top