• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

LD`s Custom Scout II

Hello Jeff, love this Scout. I am wondering if you would give us some words on how it drives, wheels, sounds and the power of the engine, trans setup. Btw, how long was build time on this after you guys got it? Things you like/didn't like about the options that were chosen. Thanks, chip nimmons

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
The owner is more than pleased with the way the Scout performs. There's really not much that I would do different if given the oppurtunity to build another Scout like this.

Found some pics worth sharing. It shows off more details of this build.

'Con07 254.jpg

Views from the cockpit

'Con07 281.jpg
'Con07 269-1.jpg
'Con07 282.jpg
'Con07 290.jpg
'Con07 129.jpg

In the center console
IMG_1596-1.jpg
And from the backside

Attachments

Last edited:

juststartingout

This is the kinda Scout that I dream about mine being, more then I dream about girls lately ha. So I got to kno how much money did you spend on this all together and how much did you make off of it?

Someone sent me this pm.

"I was wondering where you got all the parts for the cold air intake set up that is shown in the picture of your engine bay? Do you still know the places and part numbers to get the items? Also, I noticed you are running dual batteries. Are they in series to charge each other or just have one there to run accessories like the radio?"

the carburetor hat is from superiorairflow. It is typically used in turbo or sc applications. The tube was built by IH Parts America using 4" tubing. Hoses & clamps are your typical turbo silicon hose connections. Filter is k&n

a marine isolator is used with the dual batteries. 1 main battery runs everything. The other is a backup. The isolator provides manual or automatic control to combine or isolate batteries.

TonganScoutII

You guys are truly genius that is one of the best build ive seen with scouts. Nice beautiful work!

You guys inspire me to get to work on my Scout.

Nice job guys...

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
correct its says "vintage air heating/cooling system"

my question was which model is it. There are several different models.

Thanks for the help though
If I'm remembering correctly I believe it was a genii compac system. If you are thinking about installing a vintage air system I would suggest their geniv magnum system as it's a larger system and is contoured to better fit the Scout's firewall.

1972ScoutII

if I'm remembering correctly I believe it was a genii compac system. If you are thinking about installing a vintage air system I would suggest their geniv magnum system as it's a larger system and is contoured to better fit the Scout's firewall.
Great information thanks

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Ld's rig came back to the shop recently for some minor repairs and upgrades. The camshaft was swapped out for a comp cams shaft that was quite a bit more aggressive. Also a roller tip rocker arm assembly was installed. We took a few pictures during the process so I though I would post them up.

First here's a stock rocker assembly removed from the engine.

With the shafts disassembled the new rocker arms are lined out.

Comparison between a roller shaft assembly and stock.

Quite a few parts had to be removed in order to swap out the camshaft.

A mock-up of the roller rocker assembly on a 345 head shows that this particular set of rockers is not for a 345 but a 392. Another set of rockers had to be ordered to compensate for the difference in valve splay between the two engines.

A cut out valve cover shows a very close tolerance between itself and the rockers.

A little closer view.

Attachments

Last edited:
Actually it's the 268h

duration at .050" : 218 218
advertised duration: 268
lobe center angle 110

not a easy cam the novice to tune with fuel injection but it makes good power once tuned. You will need low gears. Power is good at lower rpm but really come on strong at 2000. I got it to idle rock steady at 14-15" vacumm @ 850rpm. I am very happy

comp cam part # ih260h-10

comp cams® - cam details

Carl Wiese

I have never checked out this build before tonight. It is an amazing piece of art and work!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: it gives me so much inspiration to see, I just want to get a house with a garage, so I can get building on another one.