• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

LD`s Custom Scout II

Scouty

Way to go Jeff, the quality is second to non :thumbsup: . Can't wait to see it all finished. Louis is going to be one happy Scout owner. If you don't come home with multiple awards from ohio, something is seriously wrong .

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
We tore the engine down the rest of the way in order to swap the camshaft in, have the rotating assembly rebalanced, and overall inspect it since we didn't build this engine. We sent the rotating assembly off to the machine shop for balancing and the cylinder heads for inspection. Good thing we did because the connecting rods were no good and needed replacement, the valve springs were weak so those were replaced, and a 3 angle valve job was performed since several of the valves were leaking. Both rocker arm assemblies were also replaced as they were only cleaned up and reinstalled but were clearly worn out. And after finding the rust formation behind the cam plate of this brand new engine only then did we know that this engine would not have lasted long at all.

Amazing how much dirt came out of this "ready to run" engine(that was a clean tray when we started).

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
We modified the oil pan by removing the 'hump' from the pan. This allows for extra capacity and makes for a better oil supply to the oil pick-up assembly.

Looks like 'baby poo' in this oil pump???? Not sure who previously rebuilt this engine but I wouldn't let them touch my briggs&stratton lawn mower engine.

Finally the bottom end was reassembled. We used nos factory steel head gaskets to help with engine compression.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
With the engine all buttoned up we started bolting on the accessories.

This hi-torque starter Should crank this engine over just fine.

The front shocks arrived so we bolted those on.

Since the throw-out bearing will not be easily serviceable we installed a hose to the outside of the bellhousing so that the bearing can get greased with ease.

We installed the clutch, bellhousing, and slid on the transmission and then dropped the assembly onto the frame.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
After installing the atlas transfer case, drivelines, and ceramic coated exhaust we were finally ready to bolt down the body. Pics of the chassis pretty much done and ready for the body to be bolted down.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
We dropped the body down onto the chassis for the final time.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Jeff, that is some sick work. That chassis looks killer. Nice job. This is what my Scout dreams of being.
Thanks bryan. Darren's been doing a phenomenal job building and assembling this rig. Although I have put in my two cents worth and most of the designing of the vehicle the real credit should go to Darren as he has done most of the work on this project. His fab skills and analism(is that a even word???:sosp: ) towards detail is far above most out there.

Jason Lyon

Jeff, my hat’s off to you. I have built hotrods and sport trucks that have won sema awards and I have had those same vehicles on the covers of various magazines. Your eye for detail and drive for modernizing International motor and Scout suspensions is a blessing for this community.

I hope that your craftsmanship will push International owners to step up to the plate and take pride in their vehicles. It is a shame that the scouts are, for lack of better terms, “the red headed step children of 4x4.” from mismatched body panels, to fenders that look like someone trimmed it with a cutting torch, its no wonder that scouts don’t get the respect that they deserve.

It is about time that scouts replace the fj40s on magazine covers or that early Bronco owners start giving scouts some respect, after all the Scout it the reason they exist.

Jeff, keep up the good work and keep raising the bar!

INFINIT

Looks like 'baby poo' in this oil pump???? Not sure who previously rebuilt this engine but I wouldn't let them touch my briggs&stratton lawn mower engine.
Good thing you and my bro agreed on pulling everything apart and inspect.you guys basically used nothing from the old project. I expected all this when we pulled the project last year.

I spoke to my bro about his plan for a sound system and wouldn't you know it, he's planning a mac system as in mcintosh. He's a mac nut but I can't believe he's doing a mac system for his Scout. IH and mac. As rare as they come. I was trying to talk him into alpine but he told me :nono:.