• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

IHC Vehicle Distributor Identification

jtc3407

Sorry that was stupid.
Both come from a 1970 800 304. After further reading I believe it is the 1481 ill need. They look like the Holley's.
Thanks for your response.

Redrod31

Distributer id and diaphram avaibility. Here are some pics of my distri.that came out of my,
1970 Scout
196ci.
4 banger
85 k miles
4-wheel drive
4 speed, borg waner t-18
Dana 44 rear, Dana 27 front
IH distri.single point (?) gas
1904 single Holley
the # on the distri. Is 360724-c91
vacuum advance is 677-5 and it is frozen and won't move.
I am hoping that someone b4 me installed these stright points, when they should of installed "curved" points instead??

Attachments

Grumpy

Okay, I think this May be a "compatibility" question. I am in the midst of getting a 345 ready to go in my sii, and have a pile of parts from a couple of sources, plus whatever is going to need to get reused off the 304 in the rig now. So, the info I would like help with:

sv8 345 e of unknown origin w/ front mounted oil dip stick
numbers under engine size - 1222169

cast delco point dizzy w/11100954 delco remy 0a7 on the tag around the shaft

anyone have any clue on these, or can point me somewhere. Would prefer not to use the Holley dizzy from the 304 unless I have to.

I will be using the msd box and coil that are on the 304 with the "new" engine. Will the crane igniter work okay?

Also will have 727 if that makes a hoot

Scoutboy74

The crane module should be able to trigger the msd...guessing you've got the 6al? You might want to double check that through msd online tech support though as a safety. I think it would be wired up using the pertronix instructions. Too bad those crane units aren't still being made. Nice product at an affordable price. I have one in hooty's delco and I have a nib spare that I snaked off greedbay some years back. There is is p-tron ignitor iii that is compatible with the delco dizz, but them greedy sumbitches is plenty proud of 'em.

74Orange

I've went through this entire post and narrowed my distributor down to a Holley points. But I still don't understand the difference between "straight point" and "curved point", and need this info as it looks like IHPA only has pertronix kits for the curved point distributors.

Can anyone tell what I have from this pic?

Also, it looks like some corrosion junk in there. I imagine this is not a good thing? I've owned this truck for a year now; it's worked great, but I've never once messed with the distributor.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

jeff campbell

Take the rotor button off an take a pic of the points from above,cant tell if they're curved or straight ? Imagine they're curved,Jeff

Scoutboy74

Those are curved points. The fastening holes curve around the cam. The fastening holes on a straight point set don't curve around the cam...because they're straight.

I've went through this entire post and narrowed my distributor down to a Holley points. But I still don't understand the difference between "straight point" and "curved point", and need this info as it looks like IHPA only has pertronix kits for the curved point distributors.

Can anyone tell what I have from this pic?

Also, it looks like some corrosion junk in there. I imagine this is not a good thing? I've owned this truck for a year now; it's worked great, but I've never once messed with the distributor.

Thanks guys.
That 'corrosion' could be the remains of the nylon rubbing block of the points set. Will happen if there is no 'lube' applied to the rubbing block when installed.

74Orange

Good input!

Looks like I will be ordering the pertronix kit for curved points Holley then.

Just so I know, is there anything else I should be ordering with the pertronix kit to do the job right? (with these projects, everything seems so simple at first, but there seem to be lots of hidden gotchas with compatibilities, etc. For all I know, once I switch to pertronix, I May need a different coil, different plug wires, or whatever)

one last thing: there is an "ignitor II" option in the pertronix kits that is more expensive than the plain old ignitor. Anyone know the difference offhand?

jeff campbell

There's a lot of threads about the p-tronix, good & bad... The pertronix 111 is in my opinion the best 1, if you leave the key on,it won;t burn it up ! But I really can't see the advantage of it over the stock e-module myself. ? Jeff

aeroron

Can a 1700345c92 idn4002w be used as a decent backup dizzy on my '79 345 that came with a idn4002r? It (the 4002w) has a much longer vacuum advance stroke than the 6* vacuum advance in the 4002r.
Is there an addendum to the service manual cges-145 for 1980 Scout dizzy advance specs? (there wasn't any of this info in the package of 1978-1979-1980 Scout manuals I ordered a long time ago.

Last edited:

antonsone

1963 c1100 travelette 304v8

hey guys I've been going through the thread like the above mentioned guy with curved or straight points. I got a little ahead of myself and bought the curved p-tron set up. And it looks like I have the straight set up in the truck.

Can I modify the p-tron plate to fit? Or will I be putting in a p-tron unit that electrically won't work? Thanks!

Attachments

Scoutboy74

Have you read through this whole thread and looked at the pictures to compare them to what yours looks like? It should be fairly straightforward.

1975IH200

i have a 1979 scout 345 ci ,is it a holy distributor
No, I can guarantee you that you do not have a holy distributor.

However, after 38 years it could be a Holley w/straight points or a Holley w/curved points or a Holley electronic (Gold Box) or a Prestolite points or a Prestolite electronic or a Delco points or an aftermarket HEI or an aftermarket Mallory or possibly something else.

Post up some well focused photos of your distributor, cap on and cap off (interior shot).....etc.

Thank you in advance!

1975IH200

1963 c1100 travelette 304v8

hey guys I've been going through the thread like the above mentioned guy with curved or straight points. I got a little ahead of myself and bought the curved p-tron set up. And it looks like I have the straight set up in the truck.

Can I modify the p-tron plate to fit? Or will I be putting in a p-tron unit that electrically won't work? Thanks!
That is not a Holley distributor.

That is a Delco distributor.

I suggest you send your PerTronix unit back and order the correct PerTronix unit for your Delco.