• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

INTRODUCTIONS

BranMan

Brannen from Redwood Valley.
Hi! I have had classic vehicles my whole life but I just aquired my first IH. I bought it from a fellow in Richmond a couple days ago. I work for calfire during the summer and will be logging the next couple winters. I was looking for a vehicle to use as my "logging truck" as I didn't want to beat up my daily driver Tacoma. I had no idea what I was going to find when I started looking for a 4x4 pickup. I was looking for something classic and stumbled upon dodges and Ford's but as soon as I saw the 1210 I knew that it was the one. I've got a few things to address before winter and I will try my best to document it. Thanks!

BenVH34

Just bought my first Scout!
1975 Scout 2 w 392.
Looking to buy new front and rear seats(have some in mind) but want to get an estimate on reupholstering the old seats before I pull the trigger. Any local recommendations

IHPowered

Hello,

I have a 1969 IH 1200D with the 392 in it for about a year now. I was referred to this site by a friend of mine. I live in the San Jose area. Are there any local people around here? I don’t get to see too many IH trucks. I’d certainly like to meet up for an event with other IH enthusiasts and learn more about the IH brand.

So far I’ve had very little issues with my truck. A few gaskets needed to be replaced and a new gas tank. But otherwise this thing runs like a top.

Attachments

Scooter

Hello,

I have a 1969 IH 1200D with the 392 in it for about a year now. I was referred to this site by a friend of mine. I live in the San Jose area. Are there any local people around here? I don’t get to see too many IH trucks. I’d certainly like to meet up for an event with other IH enthusiasts and learn more about the IH brand.

So far I’ve had very little issues with my truck. A few gaskets needed to be replaced and a new gas tank. But otherwise this thing runs like a top.
Welcome. Nice truck. Looks fairly solid. There are a few IH owners in san Jose, Fremont, and Hayward. I'm up in Richmond, Ca. Check out the BABS club section in this forum. For the gaskets, along with your other IH needs, IH Parts America, who run this forum, has what you need. There's a link to the store at the top of this page. Who knows, we may meet in passing sometime

Rich_Mc

Hi,
Richard in San Ramon.
I recently acquired an Arizona registered 1980 Traveler with SD33T diesel, which I picked up in LA and drove the scenic route home up 101. Since I purchased it without a top (apparently a previous owner drove off with the original top inadequately bolted down), my 1st purchase was a Softopper, and I'm now troubleshooting some of the niggly electrical issues. Next purchase will be a manual with wiring diagrams!

Hey Richard, I can give you the SD33 manual. I engine swapped mine and no longer need the manual. It only covers the engine, not wiring or other Scout features.

IHPowered

Hi Mike,

I'm in the San Jose area. I've been itching to show off my IH during this covid shutdown. Maybe a couple of BABS members can do a small meet at an in-n-out or something. That way we can all be "socially distanced" outside while we eat without our masks.

Jacob

Gman

Hi Mike,

I'm in the San Jose area. I've been itching to show off my IH during this covid shutdown. Maybe a couple of BABS members can do a small meet at an in-n-out or something. That way we can all be "socially distanced" outside while we eat without our masks.

Jacob
Any update on this? Anyone want to meet out in HMB?

IHPowered

Any update on this? Anyone want to meet out in HMB?
I was just waiting for a couple more people to chime in on my post so I didn't show up all alone. :LOL: But I'm still up for it. I won't be available till next week, but HMB works for me. Gives me an excuse to drive my IH longer than a few minutes at a time.

That being said, not sure where a good central location is for most folks. Last time we met up was in Fremont. If we got a few more people to reply to this thread on a location that would be helpful.

Gman

I know you said next week but I will be at surfers beach in HMB tomorrow morning. May or may not be in the parking lot, if not in the water.

IHPowered

Sorry to have missed out on that meetup. Had to travel to Santa Maria for a race and my trucks still out of commission.

I took it in to have the transmission looked at and its taking several weeks now. The transmission guy sent it out, got it back, installed it and then called me saying it leaks worse now then when I brought it in. Oh and the odometer no longer works! So now he has to pull it back out, send it back to the transmission builder and then reinstall it a second time.

I get that its an unusual truck to work on with limited parts, but it still bums me out to not be able to drive it for several weeks.

gulfdawg

Welcome. Not sure who you took your truck to in San Jose. I had a guy down there build the tranny for my scout. Very reasonable price. Don’t let anyone tell you these things are odd or obscure or hard to find parts for. You can get just about anything from ih parts America. If someone tells you that leave immediately. Anyway I can look in my records for the name of the shop if you would like.

Scooter

Precision transmission in Milpitas.

I just got done having him rebuild my 727. Also had him install the gear ratio planetary gears in it too. He seems to be the only semi local transmission shop that knows about scouts and the 727 automatic transmission.

Welcome to all the new ones. Would love to meet up some time. Be about another week until my scout is driveable.

drubes14

What's up BABS members! New Scout owner, located in San Francisco. '77, 345, 727. Picked it up with almost all the sheet metal replaced and a fresh (albeit hobbyist) coat of paint, so it's solid. Powertrain needs some TLC though. I picked it up a few months ago and have been wrenching here and there since, trying to learn as I go.

Would love to meet some fellow members and check out some rigs!

Happy thanksgiving to all. 🦃

Gman

Where in SF? I’m usually in El Granada on the weekends because I live in HMB and have been thinking about doing a meet b

drubes14

Awesome - I'm in the Sunset, right off 19th Avenue. Definitely down for a drive to El Granada. You surfing this coming weekend?