• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

JAYSON

Cool thanks Jeff I take it you matched the IH spring perch width to the GM axle when ya changed the shackles? And im looking for a 2wd power steering box cradle to do a cross over steering on the d series.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
cool thanks Jeff I take it you matched the IH spring perch width to the GM axle when ya changed the shackles? And im looking for a 2wd power steering box cradle to do a cross over steering on the d series.
The GM axle matched the IH spring perch width so that part of the install was easy and required no changes.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
great build.
Would that air suspension also fit under a Scout II?
Was it a standard kit?
Michael
I don't recall which kit I used but something similar could be used on a Scout. Just have to measure and do some researching.

clhman

Jeff,

can you comment on your overall impression of the sound deadening you did? It looks like it's been a couple of years now. Are you happy with it? Any regrets? Did it make a huge difference? I just finished my cummins swap in my Scout and it's loud! I need to come up with a plan. The lizard skin looks awesome but spendy. Would you do it same if you did it again? Just looking for a little advice / wisdom.

Thanks for all your help. Everything I've bought from you has worked out great!

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Jeff,

can you comment on your overall impression of the sound deadening you did? It looks like it's been a couple of years now. Are you happy with it? Any regrets? Did it make a huge difference? I just finished my cummins swap in my Scout and it's loud! I need to come up with a plan. The lizard skin looks awesome but spendy. Would you do it same if you did it again? Just looking for a little advice / wisdom.

Thanks for all your help. Everything I've bought from you has worked out great!
I'm very happy with the sound deadening and low noise out of this vehicle. We use lizard skin on almost all our customer builds everywhere we can access to spray it(inside doors and fenders, door panels, hardtop, etc). Together with the dynamat and carpeting with the mass backing it is one cozy ride. The other benefit is how little the a/c has to work on a very hot day. I'm sure it will help with the noise levels in your Scout with the cummins but as to how much it will help is something I can't answer.

clhman

Thanks. I will probably follow suit and replicate your install then. This is my forever vehicle and I want it to be comfortable on a long drive.

Scout1980

Well I would appreciate advise on wich of type and brand of air bags to use.
Was thinking of building the hydraulic load level system of a mercedes under, but this seems to be an easier sollution. And more for a heavy duty application.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
well I would appreciate advise on wich of type and brand of air bags to use.
Was thinking of building the hydraulic load level system of a mercedes under, but this seems to be an easier sollution. And more for a heavy duty application.
As I previously mentioned you just need to do some researching. Airride or firestone both make many applications of bags. Just need to do some measuring to see what all you can fit.

Tonka Toy

Quick question about your front springs. It appears to me that the 4" lift springs gives you that nose high look. If you wanted to level it up by dropping the nose, would your recommend stock GM spring height? And would you still get decent flex with a 33" tire up there? (that's what I plan on running) all of this assuming that I'm using the GM d44 axle and your new front spring mounts.

Thanks!

Jeff

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
quick question about your front springs. It appears to me that the 4" lift springs gives you that nose high look. If you wanted to level it up by dropping the nose, would your recommend stock GM spring height? And would you still get decent flex with a 33" tire up there? (that's what I plan on running) all of this assuming that I'm using the GM d44 axle and your new front spring mounts.

Thanks!

Jeff
If you are mimicking my set up and want the nose level then I would put a 2" lift spring in the front. I feel a stock spring would put the nose a tad down when used with the same rear springs as mine(6" Rough Country, no lift block).

Bo185

Its the front fender gap, is what gives it the nose high "look". I got 6'' GM springs on my travelette, front and rear and it looks nose high. My frame sets level.

You could do 4'' front springs and 6'' rears. But the key is to have a 2'' difference in spring height front to rear to get the "level" look.

Jeff what length are your front shackles? Bolt hole to bolt hole on the Travelall. Also do ya'll have the frame bushings for the front axle shackles the ones that you have to remove the rivets to install?

Smartmike

I have been watching your builds for a few years now. It started in 2011 when I was looking at a Scout while deployed and the wife found an fj40 so I went that route. Well long story but it's gone also. So now I am back to looking at your builds and wanting a Scout or a Travelall. Keep up the great builds.