• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Fuel Injection Recommendation Pros/Cons?

Rentalman

I went with the Holley Sniper EFI 2300. So far my impression is mixed results. Tech support sucks and the people who answer the phone are morons. It needs some tweaking from the guy who installed it. I too have dual tanks and they are properly plumbed in bur I have to still switch manually which tank I want to use.
How did you plumb you dual tanks? I have poly tanks and I don't think I can safely install a 3/8" supply line. I probably need to install a single larger tank at the rear of the 800 as they are from the factory in a Scout II.

dmf6978

That is a great question and I cant answer this. I am not technical enough which is why I hired a local speed shop to install the system. He is very smart when it comes to fuel injection. I can take some photos of the underside of the truck. I do know i have dual everything hidden in the frame. and my original switch between both tanks. I know he did run return lines but each side is its own system.

int77345

i dont have any experience of a sniper on a IH but my hot rod friends have them on muscle cars. yes, you should adjust your cubic inch to 304 the more information you can provide to the system the better it will learn, also idling at 1000 RPM is pretty high. will it not idle at say 700 RPM? have you looked at your target air fuel ratios ? is your live fuel ratio close to your target ? what these systems really need to run well, is accurate sensor readings. and they dont learn as fast as advertised it takes about 100 miles of all sorts of driving to get them dialed in

dmf6978

I think i misspoke and got confused. It is idling correctly around 700-740RPM. Now I have to remember what i changed after talking to their tech support. Basically the AF ratio is set for around 14 and its performing this way when driving normal down the road. Soon as I let off the gas pedal and coast or come to s stop sign or a traffic light the AF ratio goes way up in the yellow and sometimes red in the 20's for a split second and then drops down to 14 normal. However what I have been noticing the last 5 times I take it out. I start it up normal, and back out of the garage. The truck is in reverse. Pull into the streeet and drop it into drive. Sometimes the trucks gasps for fuel and the AF ratio goes into the red and the truck stalls. Holley told me something about the torque is too much, blah blah, and i didn't understand what he was saying. I did make a change though and I can go back to the LCD and look it up. It was setup for 1000 but i increased it to 1100. I will change the CI back to 304. Not sure why my guy did 401. Maybe he was confused since they pull all nighters sometimes. I will continue to drive it while it learns, but it should not be stalling out when i come to a stop or even when I shift gears.

int77345

with the stalling going from R to D i wonder if its relying to much on the idle air circuit and it cant react quick enough to keep from stalling. idling are your throttle blades completely closed ?

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Take it back to the shop that did the install and have them tune it more properly. You did say he was a good mechanic and had been working on EFI vehicles for many years. I think you're going to find it difficult to understand what the Holley tech is telling you when all you are hearing is blah, blah, blah. This is why for customers who do not understand EFI we recommend the Hamilton Fuel Injection system because Bill will take the time to explain how the system works and there is not much to go wrong. For those that understand EFI and have mechanical ability, the new Sniper and FiTech systems are fun to play with because you can tweak them when you want to. HFI is more of a plug and play system with readily known available parts. Anyway, my suggestion is to take it back to the shop that did the install so he can do additional tuning as it should not do what it is doing if it were dialed in correctly.

dmf6978

Oh yeah. My guy stands behind his work. I think its just finding the time to bring it down there. I dont think he would just leave me in the dirt while I fend for myself. Problem was this virus thing took over when i actually picked up the truck because he wanted me to have it back. Normally he says he would spend like 2 hours going over the entire system. Boy hes a talker as well which means 6 hours. I think i was just anxious to dial it in myself with some help in the forums. Eventually it will be running in top shape.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Sounds good and completely understandable. Before screwing with it anymore give your mechanic a chance to make the adjustments. If you start making adjustments it will just make his job harder. You know the old saying "too many cooks in the kitchen".