• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Fuel Injection Recommendation Pros/Cons?

Scooter

Hamilton fuel injection

Great kit. And it's geared more for the IH vehicles. I installed one on a friend's 69 scout 800. Pretty straight forward install, following the instructions. At some point, I plan on installing one on my own scout. I don't have any experience with that holly kit so I can't comment on it.

There is a link up at the top of this page to the store of IH Parts America. They do have the Hamilton kit listed on their website

Last edited:

dmf6978

Interesting find. thanks. wonder how that compares to the holly kit. I will certainly email them. I have a 67 1200B pickup and i know that website mainly caters to the scout market.

Scooter

Interesting find. thanks. wonder how that compares to the holly kit. I will certainly email them. I have a 67 1200B pickup and i know that website mainly caters to the scout market.
IH truck or scout, doesn't matter. The Hamilton kit will fit. Bill Hamilton caters the kits for the IH motors. He has, also, set up a few of his kits for several other vehicle manufacturers.

Comparing the Hamilton kit to Holly kit, I think you would be better off with the Hamilton kit. He is extremely knowledgeable regarding setting it up. And goes out of his way to help.

There are several other efi kits that have been used on these Ole IH vehicles over the years. But Hamilton seems to be the most reliable, from what I have heard and read over the years.

Edit:
In no way am I a sales person, or an employee of Hamilton or IH Parts America. I'm a long time customer of IHPA. I was just up at their store location last Friday picking up front D-44 housing and purchasing a few other parts. I have also installed one of the Hamilton efi kits into a 69 IH rig.

Last edited:

dmf6978

thanks for your honesty and help. i emailed bill and i got a response. i like to do things myself and work on my truck but its hard to find an expert where i live in NJ who works on international trucks and knows them.

Scooter

Any time. Glad I can help. Bill is another honest guy with a passion for these old iron rigs.

I can totally relate to working on these ourselves. Most shops near me are clueless regarding the scouts and IH pickups. I have had the luxury of fixing several mistakes made by a few different so called pro 4x4 shops, and two different times on the same scout for a friend.

IH Parts America does top notch work. And their customer service is great. I recently just had them do a cut-n-turn on my spare front D-44 axle housing last week.

I'm unaware of any shops in NJ, or on the east coast, that specializes in IH vehicles. Few and far in between.

dmf6978

So I decided to go with the Holley Sniper EFI system. Found what i hope turns out to be a good mechanic in my area who runs a speed shop and has been doing EFI systems for many years. trucks been in the shop for about 1 month now while they take their time. Heard it start up yesterday at the shop but its not 100% dialed in yet. I cant wait to hear this thing down the road as its a major upgrade for my truck.

I will end up selling my 2300 Holley which was just rebuilt about 6 months ago. Any clue what I should be asking?

So I decided to go with the Holley Sniper EFI system. Found what i hope turns out to be a good mechanic in my area who runs a speed shop and has been doing EFI systems for many years. trucks been in the shop for about 1 month now while they take their time. Heard it start up yesterday at the shop but its not 100% dialed in yet. I cant wait to hear this thing down the road as its a major upgrade for my truck.

I will end up selling my 2300 Holley which was just rebuilt about 6 months ago. Any clue what I should be asking?
$150 at most. Brand new ones are in the $250-350 range.

dmf6978

True, but how would I be able to revert back? Entire system has been swapped over. even got electronic timing on the distr. Cant wait to pick up this truck already. Been in the shop for 4 weeks now.

Rentalman

Hamilton fuel injection

Great kit. And it's geared more for the IH vehicles. I installed one on a friend's 69 scout 800. Pretty straight forward install, following the instructions. At some point, I plan on installing one on my own scout. I don't have any experience with that holly kit so I can't comment on it.

There is a link up at the top of this page to the store of IH Parts America. They do have the Hamilton kit listed on their website
Scooter, on the installation of Hamilton's kit on your freinds 800, did it have dual tanks? How did you plumb the supply and return lines to the tank. I have poly tanks and there is no drain at the bottom to use as a supply line. I'm stumped on installing a supply line in my poly tanks. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Scooter

Scooter, on the installation of Hamilton's kit on your freinds 800, did it have dual tanks? How did you plumb the supply and return lines to the tank. I have poly tanks and there is no drain at the bottom to use as a supply line. I'm stumped on installing a supply line in my poly tanks. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Yes, it had dual tanks. They both were the OEM metal tanks that were in great shape. I modified the original pickup tube to be used as the return line. Then I used the drain hole as a feed line to the motor. I have photos of what I did, somewhere

For the poly tanks, I haven't felt with them to give any definite answers on. One possible way is to modify the plate on top of the tanks that hold the sending unit and or the pickup tube and add another tube into that plate, to be used as a return line. Bill Hamilton, or one of the guys up at IHPA, might have better options.

Rentalman

Yes, it had dual tanks. They both were the OEM metal tanks that were in great shape. I modified the original pickup tube to be used as the return line. Then I used the drain hole as a feed line to the motor. I have photos of what I did, somewhere

For the poly tanks, I haven't felt with them to give any definite answers on. One possible way is to modify the plate on top of the tanks that hold the sending unit and or the pickup tube and add another tube into that plate, to be used as a return line. Bill Hamilton, or one of the guys up at IHPA, might have better options.
Thank you for your advise

Scooter

Thank you for your advise
Any time.
20140510_163024.jpg

Found a photo of the tanks after modified. Sorry for my slight misinformation above. Been about 6 or 7 years since I did this. And forgot where and how the sending unit was mounted.
I also found out last October during the fall Rallye, after he did the LS swap, he ended up getting rid of the two saddle tanks and installed one tank between the frame rails under the bed area near the tailgate

As far as adding a second fuel line in the poly tanks, I'm not sure. Best bet is to shoot off a message to the guys up at IHPA or Mr. Hamilton himself on their thoughts

Rentalman

Scooter thanks for the pics. I've been contemplating on removing the saddle tanks and adding one in the rear too. I just need to decide if I want the fill to be in the bed with removable door or behind the license plate. If my 800B had a TBI system I could see how that engine would run and it would help me decide whether or not too keep the 74 Scout II IH powered or upgrade to modern L83 powered.

Scooter

Scooter thanks for the pics. I've been contemplating on removing the saddle tanks and adding one in the rear too. I just need to decide if I want the fill to be in the bed with removable door or behind the license plate. If my 800B had a TBI system I could see how that engine would run and it would help me decide whether or not too keep the 74 Scout II IH powered or upgrade to modern L83 powered.
20140404_161213.jpg

That's on the 69 scout 800 with the OEM 266. That's the Hamilton efi kit. Thing ran great. But since a rebuilding of this motor is unobtainable internal parts, he decided to go with the LS swap.
As far as I know, the IH 345 motors still have internal replacement parts if rebuilding is required. But pricier than the LS motor rebuild

dmf6978

I went with the Holley Sniper EFI 2300. So far my impression is mixed results. Tech support sucks and the people who answer the phone are morons. It needs some tweaking from the guy who installed it. I too have dual tanks and they are properly plumbed in bur I have to still switch manually which tank I want to use.

Attachments

Scooter

I went with the Holley Sniper EFI 2300. So far my impression is mixed results. Tech support sucks and the people who answer the phone are morons. It needs some tweaking from the guy who installed it. I too have dual tanks and they are properly plumbed in bur I have to still switch manually which tank I want to use.
I think that I recall reading and hearing similar results as you, regarding that kit. Does suck not being able to get proper help like that when you need it

The electronic valve that I installed for the dual tanks in my friends scout 800, is operated by a toggle switch on the dash.
20140511_170127.jpg

All the fuel lines, feed and return, from both tanks and from the throttle body are hooked up to those ports on the valve. The wiring for both sending units(in each tank), the single fuel gauge, and the toggle switch are all wired into that valve. With this set up, the manual valve was completely eliminated

dmf6978

If anyone out there has installed this sniper 2300 EFI kit, Id love to hear from them about their own experience. I guess my system is rather complicated. I had originally told my install guy to just stick with one tank, and because it was a present turned into dual tanks with 2 systems. I dont know if this is true, but I have to prime the Holley system first by turning the key one click until I hear the pump going. Once stopped after 5-6 seconds I then crank it over. the fuel/air ratio is where I want it however im noticing when i back it out of the garage then onto the street from reverse to drive it stalls out. The AF ratio on the LCD monitor turns yellow then red in the upper 20's. I called Holley and they claim some torque thing and it was putting to much on the engine. I have no idea. I did in crase the idle RPM though from 1000 to 1100 and that seemed to make no difference. Waiting for the weather to get nicer so i can bring to back to the shop. Just hoping I was able to tweak this myself. I noticed they also set the CI on the setup to 401 but my enginer is a 304. I have no idea if that means anything or has any bering on the learning process of the system.