• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Aluminum Radiators for Scout II

SOAZBINDER

Getting the Scout ready for summer. Had a few questions before I pull the trigger.
Will this bolt in my 79 sii using stock mounts and shroud?

Does it cool better than any factory/stock sii radiator?

What fan do you recommend?

Do you recommend any coolant filter setups to prevent a 33year old engine clogging up this investment? If so, any recommendations?

My Scout is bone stock daily driver with a/c and sees light duty wheeling/trail riding once in a while... Mainly need it to idle in traffic with a/c on and not heat up.

Lastly, if I have a $50 gift certificate, will I be able to put that towards the $399? Thank you so much for your help.

Jared

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I'll answer this the best I can. Answers are in red -

Will this bolt in my 79 sii using stock mounts and shroud? yes it will.

Does it cool better than any factory/stock sii radiator? I have no way of an honest answer here as I have no scientific evidence that it does or doesn't.

What fan do you recommend? the stock fan.

Do you recommend any coolant filter setups to prevent a 33year old engine clogging up this investment? If so, any recommendations? I only recommend that you spend additional time flushing the cooling system thoroughly before installing any new radiator. If any hoses or thermostat look questionable now is the time to replace. I've never used a coolant filter and therefor I don't have any advice to give there.

My Scout is bone stock daily driver with a/c and sees light duty wheeling/trail riding once in a while... Mainly need it to idle in traffic with a/c on and not heat up.

Lastly, if I have a $50 gift certificate, will I be able to put that towards the $399? yes you can. Please call to place your order and have your gift certificate available. Thank you so much for your help. your welcome and thank you for your business.

SOAZBINDER

I'll answer this the best I can. Answers are in red -

Will this bolt in my 79 sii using stock mounts and shroud? yes it will.

Does it cool better than any factory/stock sii radiator? I have no way of an honest answer here as I have no scientific evidence that it does or doesn't.

What fan do you recommend? the stock fan.

Do you recommend any coolant filter setups to prevent a 33year old engine clogging up this investment? If so, any recommendations? I only recommend that you spend additional time flushing the cooling system thoroughly before installing any new radiator. If any hoses or thermostat look questionable now is the time to replace. I've never used a coolant filter and therefor I don't have any advice to give there.

Lastly, if I have a $50 gift certificate, will I be able to put that towards the $399? yes you can. Please call to place your order and have your gift certificate available. Thank you so much for your help. your welcome and thank you for your business.
Excellent. Thank you for answering my questions. I did some research on the coolant filter and have decided against it. First, it takes away from the stock appearance when you pop the hood and second the general concesus matches your reply....just flush it good and make sure its clean and everythings in good shape.

I just filed my income taxes today so I will be calling you in 7-10 days for sure. Thanks Jeff. Talk to you soon.

SOAZBINDER

Got my radiator today and it looks great. Cant wait to put it in. Thanks for the fast shipping too. Thank you Jeff.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Just wanted to let everyone know that we have the Scout II aluminum radiators back in stock and ready to ship. Same price as before and like before we will include at no extra charge mounting hardware for the radiator itself and fan shroud.

Beardedone

I have a 71 Scout II. The radiator is leaking, so my question is weather a aluminum radiator is better then the original copper one. New to the site, and this is my first post. Any feedback would be welcomed. The engine is a 304v8. Thanks ahead of time.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I have a 71 Scout II. The radiator is leaking, so my question is weather a aluminum radiator is better then the original copper one. New to the site, and this is my first post. Any feedback would be welcomed. The engine is a 304v8. Thanks ahead of time.
The aluminum radiators that we carry are lighter and less expensive and are made in china. The copper/brass radiators that we carry are an exact factory replacement, are more expensive and made in the usa.

For your 304 v8 I don't think it will matter which one you go with.

Michael Dimock

IH Parts America Sales Assoc.
Eric,

If you have the emissions vacuum switch that went into the radiator then yes, you can remove the vacuum lines and plug where they went. Or you can have a radiator shop/welder weld an aluminum bung into the radiator to thread in your old fitting if you have to deal with a visual inspection for smog. Thanks.

Craig

The switch that connects to the radiator, is opened once the scout is up to temp. One could use any water port on the intake or tstat housing if need for smog verification. Unless you don't mind welding a port on the radiator.

The switch that connects to the radiator, is opened once the scout is up to temp. One could use any water port on the intake or tstat housing if need for smog verification. Unless you don't mind welding a port on the radiator.
These were used on the 345 79/80 Scouts and the radiator is the specific place where they were "needed". IIRC, this is where it is shown on the smog decal. Having gone through several CA inspections with an '80, I don't know that I'd risk failing the visual by eliminating it.

Michael Dimock

IH Parts America Sales Assoc.
Eric,

The two small fittings in the radiator are for the transmission cooler and both will have a line going to the transmission. The orientation of the lines doesn't matter if you are routing new ones. Thanks.

kwikcoupe

I have been reading quite a bit about various 4x4 sites using transmission coolers from the radiator as PS coolers as opposed to running an external cooler. I am in the middle of a hydroboost install and will be purchasing a dual return PS pump so the fluid through the radiator cooler will be limited to a single system. I understand that by running through the radiator it may also raise the fluid temps. This will be limited to engine temps well below the fluid temperature threshold. The truck will be a camping rig that will be used for forest service roads. No hard core wheeling. I don't suppose you have tried this or know what flow data is through this port using a return line and not a pressure line.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Sorry haven't tried that before, mostly because the cooler lines on a transmission are smaller than that of a power steering return hose. My thought would be that it would be too restrictive.