• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Jim's 1968 Scout 800

Crowfeeder

As a note this Scout has hit 3500 miles, pulled the airstream without an issue and is surprisingly capable off road. Great work guys.

Attachments

Mace

Love the build, I'm doing something similr and had a couple questions. Perhaps I missed it but which axles did you end up using, what are the specs on tires/wheels, and what's the mileage been after the conversion?

I have a 63 80 that I'm building up for my son and am still on the fence concerning lift height/style to fit 33x10.50's and which axles I'm going to run.

Thanks!

Justutt67

Jeff, great looking build! I am using a 700r4 with a Jeep Dana 300 in my 1980 Scout project and was wondering if you recall the diameter and wall thickness of the front drive shaft you used on this project. It is a tight fit to the tranny pan but I know it can be done. There is a pretty good pic of the one you used in this build. Is it one you made or was it sourced out to a different shop?

Thanks justin

ihpartschad

IHPA General Manager
Jeff, great looking build! I am using a 700r4 with a Jeep Dana 300 in my 1980 Scout project and was wondering if you recall the diameter and wall thickness of the front drive shaft you used on this project. It is a tight fit to the tranny pan but I know it can be done. There is a pretty good pic of the one you used in this build. Is it one you made or was it sourced out to a different shop?

Thanks justin
We had it built and I believe it was 1.25" tube. Probably .065" wall thickness but am not 100% sure on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

ihpartschad

IHPA General Manager
just out of curiosity, how much does a build like this cost?

Were the original d27's kept?

James
We, for obvious customer privacy issues never divulge the cost of a build.

No, if you scroll through the photos you will see that it is a Dana 44 in the rear and a disc brake Dana 30 in the front.

Crowfeeder

Quick update. The is almost to 8000 miles and serves me well. Every time I see her I smile. The Scout has performed well in city driving, highway driving and towing. It has also proved it is a Scout in the snow and off read. Thanks ihparts america for making me this treasure. She thanks you for all of the heads she turns.

Jim

I know this is an older thread- but can you please show (pics) how you routed the gas tank filler hoses? I am attempting the same tank install and I am at the routing phase- I was thinking of routing the hoses to the drives side on line (but towards the rear fender) with the drivers side tank filler thanks- vic

Crowfeeder

The hose is routed to a filler under the license plate. The lp is on a lever. I do not have photos handy, but May this weekend. Let me know if you need some.

Jamie325i

Hey guys, I absolutely love this build. I am doing one very similar to it right now. What radiator did you use? It looks like a Scout radiator but with both hoses on the right side. This is just what I need for my Chevy small block conversion.

Thanks,
Jamie

rewists

I am new to this and am learning alot from others. Can you tell me how you removed the radiator support so clean in one piece. Any pictures of the removal and or what tools were used. Thanks in advance.

I know it's been a while but how far did you move up that rad support and do you think that would work for a 76 800 in order to fit in a larger rad w/ a puller fan?