Waterpump Replacement? Or not!

Bennlewis

Hi folks,

I am restoring a 1964 C1200 304 Travelette. My water pump is clean (now that I cleaned it), and it spins tightly and smoothly. I am afraid however that its O-ring or whatever seal it has is old and brittle, but I cannot pull it apart to check. Should I just assume it is old and shot and buy a new water pump?

Bennlewis

Hey FDChappie, Cheers! I am doing a complete restoration with a crate engine, so I would like to have the confidence to travel distance. No play at all. Really smooth and tight. But right now I have all the clearance in the world and would hate to put it all together and the have to pull the radiator, pulleys, fan, etc. again due to a water leak if that is at all likely. Maybe I am answering my own question here, but I appreciate the group's wisdom. This is my first restoration. I saw a "new" water pump on the IHParts website, but it looks as old as mine in the photo. New "Old Stock" o-rings are as old as the "Old Stock" is, right?

Zaedster

Future Owner of IH Parts America
If the pump is fine, it's fine. They are bad when they start weeping out coolant. What destroys them is water, if the coolant was green and clean and your water pump operates fine I'd leave it.

Bennlewis

Thanks Zaedster, but that is the issue. I will not know if it leaks until I put it in and complete the engine re-assembly and run it. Then it will be more of a chore to replace it. It sat not running for thirty years attached to the old engine block.