• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Water Pump Bolt Torque Spec

Pegasus

Evening guys,

1968 Scout 800 266-V8

I am trying to find the torque spec for the bolts that hold the water pump to the housing. There are four of them. They are 5/16" 18 tpi. The service manual states the water pump should be torqued to 40-45 ft lbs, but that is under the 3/8" bolt listing. I assume they are talking about the pump housing getting torqued to 40-45 ft lbs. The way I read it is... the standard torque for 5/16" bolts is 14-16 ft lbs. Is that sufficient for the pump bolts? Thoughts?

Thanks

Jeff

Scoutboy74

Are you sure on that bolt size? That seems small to me for that location. That would take a 7/16ths wrench to turn. To my recollection, they require a 1/2 inch wrench.

Pegasus

Are you sure on that bolt size? That seems small to me for that location. That would take a 7/16ths wrench to turn. To my recollection, they require a 1/2 inch wrench.
Scoutboy, Thanks for the reply. You are correct. The bolt heads are indeed 1/2". They are definitely 5/16" bolts. I know this because I had to replace one of them. I am fighting a leak at the water pump gasket. I guess the torque spec is what it is for that size bolt. Just seems low for that piss-ant paper gasket. Gonna pull the pump and replace the gasket. I understand the gasket goes on dry? Thanks for the help.

Scoutboy74

I like a product called copper coat for these situations. Just a thin application to one surface, probably the pump side rather than the volute side in this case. Both mating surfaces need to be clean of course. The paper gasket serves as a very thin shim. So you don't want any RTV boogers anywhere near there.

Pegasus

I like a product called copper coat for these situations. Just a thin application to one surface, probably the pump side rather than the volute side in this case. Both mating surfaces need to be clean of course. The paper gasket serves as a very thin shim. So you don't want any RTV boogers anywhere near there.
I will have to check out that copper coat. I have just heard all of the horror stories of RTV and paper not working well together. Something about expansion and contraction issues. Trying to keep it simple. Thanks

Pegasus

Scoutboy, Thanks again for the recommendation of the Copper Coat. Got the water pump all buttoned up and she is dry as a bone. NO leaks.