• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Transfer case fluid change?

Peter frost

Going to change all drive Train fluids today.
What weight should be used for transfer case, differentials and knuckles
I live in PHX

int77345

i always use this SWEPCO 80W-140W and you can use that for both transfer case and differential .

if you dont have that fluid and are doing this today, get a good GL5 rated 75-140 for the differential

not sure on the Transfer case or the knuckles.

DF Sales&Marketing

Oil Tech Moderator
IHPA stocks the SWEPCO 210-80W140 Gear Oil in gallon containers and soon quart containers.

Keep in mind that not all GL-5 lubricants have yellow metal compatibility, but the entire SWEPCO line of gear oils do.

Go to Parts, then Lubricants to find this and all the SWEPCO products Jeff uses in their shop as well as making them available to customers on line.

IHPA pricing is competitive with others, and you know you are getting it from a friendly company to do business with and who specializes in IH vehicles.

Peter frost

Thanks all done with the gear oil change
Was low on both differentials and transfer case
Running smoother now
When engaging 4 wheel drive on my 1967 1100b 304
The level feels as if I’m engaged in 4 wheel high but when I release the clutch in second gear no movement
Pull the level back further and low 4 wheel drive is engage
Release the clutch and the truck moves smooth thru all gears with a top speed around 20-30 mph
Linkages on the transfer case appears normal and functioning as it should.
Thoughts on why i can’t engage the 4 wheel high?

int77345

releasing the clutch and no movement --something must be in natural either transmission or transfer case probably transfer case

a top speed of 30MPH--- is your shift knob or shift pattern miss labeled ? sounds like you are in low range and not high range

Peter frost

Correct with the 4 x4 lever pulled fully back towards the bench seat I’m in 4wheel low
The lever pattern is a you’ve posted in the second photo, full forward towards the engine 2 w high , then 4wheel high and 4wheel low.
I’ve seen how the transfer case engages through all the options
Can’t understand why it skips the middle option but is fine in the final option...makes no sense cause it’s good in 4wheel low

nickc11211

Question for anybody in this thread. Had a mechanic do so service a few years ago and they changed the fluid in the transfer case and I noticed that it started making what I would call a whirring noise when just cursing around in 2wd; If I shift to 4wd its kind of still there but not really. Truck is a 79' with an automatic transmission and a d20 transfer case 37k miles. I drained the fluid today and no real flakes were on the magnet that is on the plug but i would say that the oil I drained looked like glitter or like those videos you see when people mix powder into epoxy resin...it was very pretty looking honestly. Either way I put SWEPCO 80W-140W gear oil in and went for a ride and the noise is still there. Everything works fine and doesn't really seem to effect the way it drives but its more annoying than anything. Does the glittery oil sound like the yellow metal is damaged because of whatever the mechanic used for oil or does this sound like it could be bearings or do the transfer cases just make noise when driven? Any advice is appreciated.

int77345

no yellow metal in the T case. glitter and noise, to me sounds as if a bearing is failing.
im not wise enough to say for cretin but maybe the gear oil was hard on the case, didnt lube it good?

DF Sales&Marketing

Oil Tech Moderator
It would seem that there is a bearing problem happening, but that is just after reading the previous suggestions. With that said, we do not claim to be a mechanic in a can, but more of a preventative product which gives longer life to parts which are in fairly good shape to start with. I hope the SWEPCO gear oil didn't let you down, but it has been known to quiet down some noisy gearboxes but evidently not yours.
It sounds like the PO's maintenance was not what it should have been.

nickc11211

It would seem that there is a bearing problem happening, but that is just after reading the previous suggestions. With that said, we do not claim to be a mechanic in a can, but more of a preventative product which gives longer life to parts which are in fairly good shape to start with. I hope the SWEPCO gear oil didn't let you down, but it has been known to quiet down some noisy gearboxes but evidently not yours.
It sounds like the PO's maintenance was not what it should have been.
No, did not let me down at all! Been using the swepco motor oil for the past 10 years in the truck and it has definitely helped. I have owned it for 20 years and it has 37k original miles on it so it could be due in large part to not ever having been driven much. Previous owner was incredibly meticulous with maintenance and writing down every little thing; it has always been a show truck. I'm going to check and see if there is play in the shafts and if so I will be ordering a rebuild kit in the near future.