• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Time for wheels and tires

Justutt67

Anyone know why 3.75" back spacing is recommended for Scout II wheels? Is it tire to leaf spring clearance at full turn or tie rod end to wheel clearance or both. I am looking to get wheels and tires for my Scout II and want to get 17" wheels with either a 285/75/r17 or 305/70R17 tire. My Scout has a SOA with stock springs and poly body bushings. I have a hi steer so the hi steer arms bend inward away from the tires so TRE clearance isn't an issue but spring clearance May be at full turn. The reason I am asking is cause every 17" wheel I have found has 4.5" backspacing. My other option if I can't use a 4.5" BS wheel is to have www.stocktonwheel.com Build me a set of 17 X 10's with 3.75" BS. Any one already crossed this path?

FDChappie

My 16" rims with 265/75 tires do rub on the springs at full lock. Sorry don't know what the actual back spacing is. They do keep the mud below the belt line though. When the factory 10.5/31-15's were on the Scout they would throw mud on the hood.

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
Grab a tape measure and a straight edge. Remove your wheel and take a few measurements.

The OEM wheel BS and width are designed to maintain the center load in a ( tire) in a sound location.

Going up in tire and rim width would require the BS to increase to keep the center close to stock. The only way you can determine your situation is to measure for obstacles through out the turning range. Take into account the tire size and bulge areas.

Justutt67

Well I went with Mickey Thompson Classic III wheels in black. 17X9 w/ 4.5" of back spacing. I also went with Toyo Open Country 285/70/17 tires (33X11) for anyone wondering 4.5" backspacing fit just fine at least in a 17" wheel. I still can turn plenty sharp. I adjusted the steering stopper bolts to get maximum turning radius.

Attachments

Last edited:

my1972scout

Well I went with Mickey Thompson Classic III wheels in black. 17X9 w/ 4.5" of back spacing. I also went with Toyo Open Country 285/70/17 tires (33X11) for anyone wondering 4.5" backspacing fit just fine at least in a 17" wheel. I still can turn plenty sharp. I adjusted the steering stopper bolts to get maximum turning radius.
off topic-- what color is that on your scout? I love it.