• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

SUA wandering

WLZ

New guy here. I am rebuilding a 75 scout. I want to make this into a daily driver that is reasonably capable offroad for hunting and just seeing the back country...not a crawler. I would like to stay with the SUA configuration. I bought 33's before I realized how much it would affect steering. I have new tie rod ends, steering gear box, drag link,ball joints, shocks and alignment. The rag joint seems to be in good shape. frame appears to be solid (no cracks). It still wanders with the bigger tires. Is the cut and turn probably necessary with the larger tires or is that just necessary if I convert to SOA? Not 100% sure how the geometry works. Also, I shouldn't have to change my pinion angle should I?
Thanks for any suggestions. I looked through the forums and didn't find quite what I was looking for.

int77345

i run 33s with a spring under suspension and about like you dont really want a crawler just a good 4x4 that i can take on "trails" these rock canyon crawler trails are kinda fun but they take all day to go 3 miles and you dont really see that much.

any way my scout dove like yours lots of wondering and kinda scary on the interstate. a cut and turn along with a reverse shackle made a night and day difference. it made such a driving difference that if there was only one modification i could make i would go with cut and turn the axle. during the cut and turn i think you can set you pinion angle to any angle you like.

thats my 2 cents, if you have a wondering scout cut and turn will solve it and if there is money left over the reverse shackle helps with ride quality

I have a '79 with 4" Skyjacker springs and a 1" over stock shackle. I went with 4 degree shims under the axle and that really made a difference. I intend the C&T at some point, but for now, this makes highway travel a breeze, when before, it was a white-knuckle affair. The only downside is the front drive line angles are about at their limits at full droop. It doesn't worry me as I'm not hacking down the road in 4-Hi at 50. Its a weekend rig, not a crawler, like you describe yours.
You could try this to make sure its indeed what your rig needs. Its a cheap experiment, and for me a (semi) permanent solution.

I have a '79 with 4" Skyjacker springs and a 1" over stock shackle. I went with 4 degree shims under the axle and that really made a difference. I intend the C&T at some point, but for now, this makes highway travel a breeze, when before, it was a white-knuckle affair. The only downside is the front drive line angles are about at their limits at full droop. It doesn't worry me as I'm not hacking down the road in 4-Hi at 50. Its a weekend rig, not a crawler, like you describe yours.
You could try this to make sure its indeed what your rig needs. Its a cheap experiment, and for me a (semi) permanent solution.
i'm in the same boat. definitely install shims if you haven't. its a good semi-permanent solution.

WLZ

Thanks guys! I have the axle assembly out and have started the c/t. Can I leave the pinion angle at zero or should I tilt it up a little bit? If so how much? I have read some of the SOA setups tilting the pinion up to 10 degrees!