SOA / shock questions

Smokedawg

So wrapping up my SOA conversion on the 79 SS. With this conversion, the shock mount moves up with the spring if I did this correctly. So no need for a longer shock?

What shocks do you guys recommend for this truck that will be mostly street driven? Part numbers?

Scooter

When I did my SOA awhile ago, I went with Bilstein 5100, if I remember that number correctly, series.

My understanding on this for new shocks, after any type of lift, is to take three measurements.

1) static height.
2) compressed
3) droop

I have ordered several sets of shocks for SOA conversions. And came up with several different numbers. I think it was due to variations of the leaf springs. Once you get those measurements, then you can call up the fellas up at IH Parts America and place your order

Oh if you did a good SOA conversion you would have scrapped the original front shock mounts and weld new upper towers(frame) and new lower mounts (tabs on axles). That way you actually benefit from the added lift.

And then do your static, droop and compressed measurements. Or use IHPAs already set up kit which takes 90% of the guess work out of it.

Scooter

Oh if you did a good SOA conversion you would have scrapped the original front shock mounts and weld new upper towers(frame) and new lower mounts (tabs on axles). That way you actually benefit from the added lift.
Indeed. I forgot to mention those points.

In my 74, I actually bent 1-1/2 DOM tube for the upper shock mount.

Last edited: