• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Smog pump delete questions

Pegasus

Hey gang,
I have a 266 V8 that I am working on and have a question about the smog / emissions system. First let me say the engine runs great, nice idle, plenty of power etc.
My question is about removing the smog system. Will this affect the way the truck runs? As you can see from the pics, the pump is plumbed through a valve that diverts into the block via the injection rails. The only other connection is a small vacuum line to the carb. I don't want to hurt the performance of the engine so I'm cool with leaving it in place. Just trying to de-clutter the engine bay and also don't want to be "hunting" for parts down the road when the pump and valve wear out. If it is cool to remove it all, do I just cap the carb vacuum input and plug off the holes where the air injection enters the block? Thanks so much guys.

Top.JPG

Drivers Side.jpg
Passenger Side.jpg
Rear 1.jpg
Rear 2.jpg

Attachments

Wow, nice looking motor. Most 266s are caked in decades of oil-grout...
You can remove all of the parts. The plugs for the heads are a little tricky to source. They aren't normal pipe plugs. If you do a thread search, it might come up. IF not Google it. Somehow Google searches the forum much better...?
The vacuum line can be capped at the carb with a normal rubber cap.
As far as performance goes. you shouldn't notice any difference. And don't scrap any of the parts. They are worth something to somebody. I might even be interested, but they are a bit old for my application. Assuming you live in a state where these emissions laws don't apply?

Pegasus

Wow, nice looking motor. Most 266s are caked in decades of oil-grout...
You can remove all of the parts. The plugs for the heads are a little tricky to source. They aren't normal pipe plugs. If you do a thread search, it might come up. IF not Google it. Somehow Google searches the forum much better...?
The vacuum line can be capped at the carb with a normal rubber cap.
As far as performance goes. you shouldn't notice any difference. And don't scrap any of the parts. They are worth something to somebody. I might even be interested, but they are a bit old for my application. Assuming you live in a state where these emissions laws don't apply?
Hey DealBreaker, I wish I could take credit for the condition of the motor, but the PO took pretty good care of it. Most of the work on this one is going to be in the body. I am in a rural area down south so inspection is just the safety stuff, nothing up the tailpipe. I'm still on the fence about removing it. I kinda like the way it looks. I'm sure that sounds weird. Just don't want the system to fail and the truck start running like crap.
Thanks for the info though.

Pegasus

Negative on the tube spacers, all smog items and spacers are omitted from the engine. Just install the plugs and go.
Hey Z, Just placed my order for the plugs. Do you recommend any type of sealer on the threads? Maybe some high temp like ultra copper? Thoughts? Thanx...

Zaedster

Future Owner of IH Parts America
Hey Z, Just placed my order for the plugs. Do you recommend any type of sealer on the threads? Maybe some high temp like ultra copper? Thoughts? Thanx...
Yeah you can put a little anti-seize on the threads, just snug the plugs. Don't torque them to a crazy value.