• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Scout Snow Wheeling Trip - Sat. Jan. 14 2017

Jesse B.

All,

it has been a couple of years since we organized a Scout snow wheeling trip, largely for lack of snow, but this year promises to be wet and cold. Any takers?

I suggest we hold the Scout trip on January 14, which is the same day that cal4wheel holds its winter fun fest. Hopefully, by planning our trip for the same day, there won't be as many folks where we go. (I went on the cal4wheel trip last year. It was fun, but too many people. They generally get special use permits from the usfs to go on roads that are closed.)

in the past we usually go up the mormon emigrant trail. I propose we do the same this year, unless someone has a better location. We'll leave early in the morning, meet up somewhere, drive up into the snow, cook some lunch, and then drive back home.

For those of you who May not have gone with us on any of the past trips, you don't need any real special equipment to go on this run. At the least, you will need functioning four wheel drive and good tires. You won't get past the gate with bald tires. Most of us will have at least one locker, but a few years ago rob took his 80 up with us. He slid around a bit, but did fine. I think he was open/open. I expect (hope?) everyone will have to air down though. If you end up getting stuck, that's part of what is supposed to happen. Vehicles other than scouts are welcome too.

Post up if interested so I can get a head count.

Scouty

Sounds good Jesse! I'm in, just need to do a couple things to the Scout before then. Met is always a good time :thumbsup:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I might depending on my schedule. I'm not sure if I'll be doing anything with the winter fun fest as I might attend as a vendor/sponsor to help and try to drum up local business seeing that the event is a mile away. I know beau daughtery was planning on getting a Sierra Scouts meeting going that same weekend but it was not set in stone. I'm not sure if he visits here or not but will see if I can get him to chime in.

Jesse B.

Okay, it looks like we are getting closer, but the problem is that I'm watching updates on pirate and some people are saying the road has been closed because of the weather. The problem is that a lot of these folks are throwing the word "closed" around without explanation. Everyone knows the road is "closed" to through traffic In the winter. It typically closes at the silver fork junction. All this means is that you can drive your four wheel drive or green sticker to the gate and drive back down. They seem To be saying something else, which is that the road is totally closed at jenkinson lake. If so, there is no entrance to the road. I'll continue to watch and update this thread.

At first I though we were going to have to cancel because the weekend storm melted what little snow there was in the lower elevations.

The storms this week are colder and are expected to drop several feet of snow in the higher elevations. Jenkinson lake dam sits at 3500' and the silver fork junction sits at 7000'. I imagine there will be plenty of snow by Saturday, but I do not know if the road will be open. If it is, you can bet that since this is the first big weekend after a snow fall, the met will probably be a cluster.

Scouty

If you end up going this weekend I probably won't make it since I still need to do some things to the Scout. Plenty of snow for sure.

Jesse B.

I'm sorry but I think we should reschedule this trip. No one knows if met is open, or if they do, they aren't telling. It was Closed at the dam last weekend because of the heavy rainfall, but no one seems to know if it remained closed because of the even heavier rainfall on Monday and Tuesday. Chp had set up a road block on the dam. One person seems to believe it was closed at the request of el dorado irrigation district because their water system had been overloaded, so water would be spilling everywhere. If true, that May still be happening. I posted on that other forum and one guy says he May go up there this weekend (he lives a few miles away) and report back. I'd hate to have us go up there and then have to turn around.

So, sorry michael, and whoever else was planning on making it. (Matt and silver Scout already canceled.) of course if some folks still want to give it a go, those folks can take over this thread and let everyone else know you're still going. I'm just backing out because I have my doubts met has re-opened.