• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Scout II SOA & R/S in 24 Hours

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Yes you read that right. A complete spring over axle conversion and reverse shackle set-up was installed on one of my best buddies Scout II in roughly 24 hours this last Saturday. This lift normally takes either Darren or myself roughly 70 hours to perform from start to finish but with highly skilled and experienced guys like Darren, Chad, Mike, and myself all working together with no interruptions we managed to make it happen in roughly one day. Because of the fast pace not too many pictures were taken but from time to time I was able to stop to take in the moment.

To make the wrench-a-thon go as smoothly and quickly as possible we did have the front axle ready to go which was the old front axle from pd's build. The knuckles on the axle were already turned and a basic hysteer kit already installed. Mike and I the week before disassembled the front axle for inspection and regeared it to 4.10 to match the rear axle thats already in Mike's Scout. With the ARB thats in this front axle and detroit locker thats already in the rear Mike should be able to take his Scout just about anywhere.

So we begin with a before shot of the Scout with Mike. Notice the height at which the hood is to his shoulder.

And more before shots. The Scout at the time was running small 28.5" tires with stock springs and mild shackle lift.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
The following morning we started work at 8:00 am. We started with the rear suspension first. I started drilling for the rear swaybar and prepping the bumpstop mounts while Darren followed behind me welding everything up. Chad prepped all the leaf springs with new bushings while Mike cleaned and painted all the parts.

A little after 11:00 and were crusing along. Rear axle is in with only the perch's needing welding.

By noon the rear suspension was done.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
All the front suspension brackets were ground off and the frame sanded down smooth.

The reverse shackle fangs were tacked into place, springs bolted in, and axle hung.

Darren starts the long task of welding everything together.

Chad stands by in case of fire.

Mike doing some final painting.

Not sure what both Chad and Mike were doing but I thought this picture would look cool.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
By 7:00 pm we drove the Scout out of the shop. I happened to have a suitable temporary driveshaft in the driveline pile that could safely take Mike back and forth to work until the new rear cv driveshaft and long travel front driveshaft show up. We also installed a borgeson steering kit since the old rag joint needed replacing.

With the new lift and 35" tires Mike's shoulder is now dead even with the hood.

And last pics on Monday when Mike showed up with his new tires and wheels.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Yes with the exception of the rears which had one additional stock leaf added to it.

Ride

I know this is an old thread, but . . . .

- Does anyone know what Hood Scoop this is? I've been looking at a bunch of them and this really fits the Scout perfectly.

Thanks!

All the front suspension brackets were ground off and the frame sanded down smooth.

The reverse shackle fangs were tacked into place, springs bolted in, and axle hung.

Darren starts the long task of welding everything together.

Chad stands by in case of fire.

Mike doing some final painting.

Not sure what both Chad and Mike were doing but I thought this picture would look cool.