Runs great in neutral, stalls in gear

arrinick

Hi,

1975 Scout II 345 holley 2210 (newish probably 5 years old), new DUI ignition system.

I live in the city, right front brake froze up, didn't really have anywhere to work on it, so it sat for about a year. found some time, pulled the wheel off, hub was sheared in half. Replaced all that. Pretty grumpy starting after a year of not being touched. Drove it to put fresh gas in it. Very unhappy on the way to the gas station. Drove around a bit to try to get the old gas through the lines. Idled ok, didn't want to accelerate. Stopped by my shop, stalled in the parking lot, wouldn't restart. Upon inspection, wires to starter all melted from bad connections. Replaced main posative from battery, new connectors on the rest, wire wheeled the starter connections. Fired right up.

At this point, still ran real lousy. coughing and stalling when giving it gas. I ran a can of carb cleaner through the carb while it was running (float bowl vent). Adjusted accelerator pump linkage. Now runs great in park or neutral. Excellent throttle response, starts on a dime. As soon as I put it in gear and try to give it gas it stumbles. It is currently stranded in the parking lot of my shop. Current plan is to run another can of carb cleaner through and try to limp it back home (only a city mile of side streets).

It ran pretty good before I neglected it, so I am guessing gummed up carb and bad fuel? I put a fuel treatment in the tank with 10 gallons of fresh gas, been trying to get some of that to run through there. I suspect my accelerator pump was gummed up before cleaning, it was really sluggish (the actual pump plunger, not the acceleration).

Any other things I should be looking at here? Any advise to get the thing home?

Thanks for the help,

Nick

1975IH200

In my opinion your current carb needs to be removed, disassembled, cleaned and reassembled with the proper Holley Carb rebuild kit.
I think IHPA sells the correct carb kit for your carb.
Install a new fuel filter with every carb rebuild.
Install this Holley carb base gasket, p/n 108-52, as well.
Holley p:n 108-52 Base Gasket-2.jpg

arrinick

Copy. Thanks. I figured as much. Was just wondering if there was anything I could try before limping it home. Are there any major gotchas if I just pull the top of the carb off at my shop, give that a quick clean and throw it back on? From what I've seen on the internet it's just the 8 bolts out of the top of the thing, and it lifts off giving access to lots more places to clean.

Thanks,

Nick

1975IH200

That is worth a try if that's what you want to do.

I think your main issue is old fuel which has gummed up, to some extent, the internal passages of the carb.
A full disassembly, cleaning, and rebuild is called for.

Adding 'fresh fuel' to 'old fuel' is not a valid remedy for 'old fuel'.

Scoutboy74

Check for vacuum leaks. A vacuum leak, if present will create higher than normal idle speed when the engine is not under a load. Then once the transmission is placed into gear, the vacuum leak will often cause the engine to stall out under load.

FDChappie

Glad to hear of your success! Was this your first carb rebuild? And what did you find in the carb.

arrinick

It was my first time messing with a carburetor. I popped the carb off the truck, ran over to my shop, Due to weird shortages because of covid, everywhere nearby was out of carb cleaner. So, disassembled, everything, cleaned everything with PB blaster and platic brush, blew about 80psi of air through every port, rinsed everything with denatured alcohol, blew out again, rinsed again, blew dry, reassembled, set idle mix screws at 2.5 turn out from stops, threw it back on the truck. Started right up, runs perfect. It was slightly harder to start than it had been, so I opened the idle screws up another half turn. now couldn't be happier.

Spent all day sunday rewiring the back side of the truck. Wiring was always a mess back there, there was a NOS wiring harness on Ebay, so I snapped that up. Everything works great.

Nick