• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Rodney's 1980 Turbo Diesel Scout

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Originally owned by rodney's father this 1980 Scout II has been sitting under a tree at his sisters house for the past 13 years. Finally one day out of the blue rodney got the call "come get the Scout.". So hence here it is, a 1980 which was the last year of the Scout II's. This Scout is factory equipped with a Nissan turbo diesel, 4 speed transmission, Dana 300 transfer case, Dana 44's front and rear with 3.54 gears, a/c, power steering and power brakes.

Here's the Scout getting unloaded off of the tow truck. It doesn't look too bad after its long hibernation under a tree.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Before deciding which direction to go with on this build we needed to evaluate the Scout first. Aside from the usual inspection we needed to see if the engine was sound or not. Darren began the revival process by first checking all fluids and then installing a temporary fuel source to run the engine. After bleeding the injectors the little turbo diesel engine revved back to life.

Knowing the engine and drivetrain were in good shape a plan was formed. The Scout is to receive one of our CPT reverse shackle kits complemented with Bilstein shocks and Skyjacker 4" softride springs. The axles will get new lower gears in order to accommodate the larger 32" tires that will be installed later. The engine will get a Scoutco performance downpipe and Darren will finish off the exhaust with a 2.5" hi flow system. The engine will also receive a custom intake to help let it breathe. The clutch will be replaced along with the motor and transmission mounts. And to finish it off the Scout will receive a fresh paint job and new carpet kit.

The work began with the replacement of the clutch, installation of the rear lift leaf springs, rebuilding of the rear axle along with new brakes and removal of the fuel tank to send it out for cleaning.

The flywheel was surfaced and a fresh angle link clutch was installed along with a new transmission mount.

The old spring bushings were pressed in favor of new.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Next the rear axle was disassembled and checked for straightness.

This side of the axle is still perfectly straight.

However you can see in this picture that the puck is offset slightly hence showing that the housing is bent on this side.

After cutting the housing end off it is then welded back on using the alignment bar to keep things perfectly straight.

A new 4.09 ring/pinion was installed along with new differential and axle bearings.

With the gears set the housing was painted and put off to the side until ready to be installed.

The frame was painted before the suspension and axle was reinstalled.

The fuel tank was sent up to our radiator shop where it was boiled and lined.

Attachments

Last edited:

mjolnir

Jeff:

any progress to report? Have you picked a color for paint?
Any chance this truck will make it to the Binder Bee? With so many cummings swaps going on you don't see much with the sd33t.

Thanks,
mjolnir

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Jeff:

any progress to report? Have you picked a color for paint?
Any chance this truck will make it to the Binder Bee? With so many cummings swaps going on you don't see much with the sd33t.

Thanks,
mjolnir
Plenty of progress but I have not had time to update the builds hence why there have been no updates so pleas be patient. Color choice has not been made. This vehicle May possibly be at the Binder Bee however it will depend on if the vehicle is complete by then and if the owner can take the time to take it to the show.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Here's a couple of pictures of the completed rear suspension.

The Scout was pulled in for some more work. You can see how much higher the rear suspension is over the stock front suspension.

The Scout was again put up on jackstands in preparation for removal of the front axle and suspension.

These are all the parts that are going to be installed in the front axle and suspension. Nothing but the best parts!

Axle and suspension removed.

With the front axle out and disassembled all parts were inspected and replaced as needed. This one looked real good so only the seals and calipers needed replacement.

The axle housing is drained in preparation for the new gear set.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
While the front axle was draining Darren moved on to the task of removing the leaf spring hangers and shackle hangers from the frame.

Next the new front CPT reverse shackle spring hangers were tack welded to the supplied crossbar at 31" on center or an overall width of 34".

Next the spring hanger assembly is tacked into place. The hangers are set by using a straight edge off of the front and side of the frame.

With the hangers securely tacked into place the new Skyjacker softride leafsprings and freshly regeared axle are set back in place.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Using two pieces of greased 2"x4" between the springs and frame the axle is compressed and suspension jounced.

Using a angle finder the shackle angle is determined and marked on the frame. On this Scout we are shooting for roughly a 15* shackle angle.

The pilot hole is drilled first.

Followed next by the holesaw.

With the sleeve in place it is ready to weld.

And finally the sleeve welded into place.

With shackle's installed and ubolts tight this front axle is ready for reassembly.

With the CPT reverse shackle kit with 6" shackles this Scout with a 1980 front axle ended up with 2.7* of caster. Had this been and earlier housing we would have installed a set of 4* shims.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
With the shocks installed and brakelines in place the rest of the axle is reassembled.

With the front lifted the Scout is now sitting nice and level with enough lift to easily clear 33" tires.

This phase of the build was performed in the middle of April. The next phase is scheduled for some time in June so stay tuned!

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Rodney's Scout is back in the shop for its next phase. The front driver side was removed for some fresh panels as well as work on the engine. Look for more from this project in the very near future.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
How about an update on this!

Darren fabricated a custom free flowing exhaust for the Nissan turbo diesel.

Replacement front inner and outer fenders were installed.

There was some rust in one of the lower quarter panel's so it was cut out and prepped for a new patch panel.

The old york a/c compressor was swapped out for a more modern sanden version.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
There was also some rust at the passenger side rocker so it was cut out in favor of a new replacement.

Before sending the Scout out for paint a new custom air intake was fabricated for the engine.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
With all known body issues resolved the Scout was shipped off to the paint shop.

At the paint shop after some sanding it was found that the right rear corner cap was in pretty bad shape so Darren made a house call over to the paint and body shop and installed a new quarter panel end cap.

The Scout was sanded down to bare metal before being repainted.

Here's the Scout with its new voodoo blue paint job. My good friend Mike did yet another fantastic paint job for us.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Next up was the interior coating for the Scout.

After sanding down the inside of the tub and then cleaning it plastic was applied all around the Scout in preparation for the spray liner.

Michael who joined the IHPA team last year brought along the skill of applying bedliner to our Scout tubs and will be performing the coating on rodney's Scout.

Here's the finished product all sprayed in.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
The stock wiring of the Scout was removed as well as the gauges in favor of a new kwikwire wiring kit and stainless steel dash panel & gauge kit.

The new panel is laid over the existing dash and marked out all around.

The next several pictures show all the area that needs to be cut out before the new gauge panel can be installed.

Here's the gauge panel with the diesel specific gauges installed.

This is what the dash looked like after trimming and cutting in order to make room for the gauges.

The steering column mount also needed some slight trimming in order for the speedometer to clear.

Attachments

Last edited: