• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

PD's Drivetrain Upgrade

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Oops! Backing up a little bit I wanted to show what the shifters came out like.

We took a stock Scout II shifter, added an extra gate for the extra gear and added back-up and starter safety switchs to it.

This a picture of the shifter in reverse depressing the back-up light switch.

This picture shows the shifter in park. You can see the bump on the switch that the shifter contacts in order to complete the back-up light circuit.

This is a picture of the neutral safety switch in the park position. There are two bumps on the side of the shifter that depress the lever on the switch. When the switch is engaged in either park or neutral it completes the starter circuit allowing the engine to turn over.

Next Darren fabbed up a bracket to hold the Klune-V shifter in place.

Boots were added to all three shifters.

And topped off with the slightly modified trans shifter cover. Note the shift pattern as it includes an od spot.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Some pics of the rollcage with the hardtop bolted down and interior panels in place.

Bushwacker fender flares were attached to the Scout.

As I write this Mike the painter is outside giving the Scout some shine.

This next week the Scout will get finished. With a list of less than 10 things left to complete it is finally winding down. Paul is scheduled to pick up his ride next Friday. I'll update the thread after that.

Attachments

Last edited:

Paul 3

After 2200 miles over 3 days the Scout finally made it back to tn. As promised I ran it across the scales just to see what it would weigh in at...6220 lbs. With 15 gallons of gas and a spare tire on board. Even with that the Scout cruised at 80 mph without breaking a sweat. :thumbsup:

I can't say enough about the work Jeff and Darren put into this build and how well it turned out. That probably doesn't come as much of a surprise to those that are used to seeing what they do, but it left more than a few absolutely speechless during the drive back to tn. I haven't left a gas station (still the scouts favorite stop :gringrin: ) or parking lot yet without at least one person coming up and asking about it.

Paul

ihpartschad

IHPA General Manager
got a great 60 gallon compressor buried in the garage there. Used it to fill these little gems so I could get the Scout in the garage for awhile. :gringrin:
That is some funny shit right there, that kills me!! Glad to see you've got it under wraps for the time being. Also glad to see you made it home safe and sound. Be safe man!!!

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Here's some final pictures of the build up.

Some final pictures of the power window installation.

And just some random pictures of the Scout.

Here's a link to a video that I took while driving up the freeway. This was one of the first trips out with the Scout so the fuel injection wasn't fully dialed in yet.

test drive - pd's Scout II

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Paul was back in California for a little r&r. After a trip to the Sierra Fall Rallye the Scout was left with us for some more upgrades.

To start the upgrades was a new roof rack. Darren started out by cutting the four corners out of a rusty donor hardtop.

These pieces were then welded to the underside of the four corners of the hardtop.

1 1/4" tube was bent and mounting plates welded on to secure the new roof rack to the Scout's hardtop.

The rack was slightly modified in order to make it readily removable.

Darren fabricated these simple yet effective saddle mounts that will retain the rack to the 1 1/4" tube.

With the roof rack mounts complete the parts were shuffled off to the painter and powdercoater for treatment. Next up was a fresh set of corbeau bucket seats. Darren stripped out the interior and began fabricating mounts to the cage.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
With the main platform made the mock up of the seats begin.

The drivers seat mounts are fabricated first. With a roll cage in the Scout we can use string to hang the seat in the desired position.

The first piece of mount is bent and checked.

A tuffy box is also going in for additional electrical components.

With the driver seat set the passenger seat can then be mocked into position.

The seat mounts that Darren fabricated leave a bunch of room for additional storage.

Darren test fitting a piece of bent tube for the passenger seat.

Attachments

Last edited:

77-345

Jeff, awesome build! Us shadetree mechanics/fabricators can only imagine the amounts of dinero it would take to pay someone with your abilities to do this, and do it so cleanly. One question though, are there plans in paul's future for larger tires? The current tires just look so puny with all that room? Nicest Scout II I have ever seen, by far!

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
The Scout is set up to run 37" tires but since the current 35's had plently of rubber left on them paul decided to run these until they wear out.

cbmind

Just out of curiosity, how much math is involved with the front missing link arrangement? Looks pretty much like a radius arm on one side and a regular link on the other. Pretty simple and straight forward. It doesn't look like you angled in the lower link brackets, they appear to be inline/ square with the frame. Is that the case, and do the lower links follow parallel with the frame (top view)? Also, how many degrees of did you move the upper link on the pass side over from the lower link? Does this link follow the same angle as the drive shaft? How's your caster? Is there quite a bit of change from when it is at rest versus compressed at full bump? Purpose of why it is not parallel (viewed from the top) with the lower link? Matter of convenience locating it and mounting to the axle? Would using polyurethane joints at the axle connections and rod ends/ flex joints at the frame be a better choice for something more on the road than not? A four link would be nice up front, but as we've talked about before, not a whole bunch of room if you want to keep lift height low. Thanks for the help. Very nice truck, if I was working in CA I'd have to sign over my paychecks to you Jeff! Probably good that I'm in ne with the people of the corn....... Very cool.