• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Pack Mule camping trailer

Lou

I am selling, without enthusiasm, my pack mule trailer. I bought the kit from reinard helder manufacturing of marysville in 1992. He was famous for building trailers and trailer kits to be used on the rubicon. The basic dimensions of the box are 24” x 48” x 60”. It sits on leaf springs and is rated at 2,000 lbs. If you were to line the box with a tarp and fill it with water it would carry the load easily. The bolt pattern on the hubs is 5 on 5.5” to fit IH Scout, Jeep etc. They presently carry BFG all terrains in 31-10.50 x 15 on American steel wheels with a matching spare on the tongue. The hitch is a cartwright design on a 2” ball and it does a great job articulating off-road and has never bound up. It is wired for a standard light system and does not weigh enough to require electric brakes.
As originally built I installed a flip top lid to keep the dust and rain out and when opened the lid was a cook and work table. Later I clamped the lid closed and mounted a roof top tent. The rtt is an autohome overland in carbon gray and it is of very high quality. The tent has been opened and slept in about 25 times and it is impervious to wind, rain and snow. There is more info at their website: autohome overland vehicle roof top tents for trucks, 4x4, trailers, and suvs

Access to the gear space is through the tailgate with a sliding floor to ease access. There is also a cook/work table that stores under the rtt and installs on the rear of the trailer.
I had a water tank made up and I installed it over the right fender, it hold about 14 gallons. On the left fender is a 10 x 10 portable awning, I sewed three side panels for privacy and wind/sun protection. There are brackets in front of the fenders for the mounting of two 5 gallon blitz gas cans. One can is included in this sale. I’m asking $4,200.00 for the package and am not interested in trades. I also have tables, chairs, storage tubs etc. And if you’re interested in those items we can talk about what gear you might be interested in and I might want to part with, outside the package.
Lou…

Attachments

Lou

Ha ha, fair question Tom. The trailer was a project of evolution from the two of us to three with a child to her leaving and us not wanting to sleep on the ground to wanting something with a door. I haven't used it in a year and it needs to be behind another IH. It's either sell or give it a viking funeral.

ihpartschad

IHPA General Manager
Damn, I wish I had the disposable $$$$ for this I would be all over it. I've been jealous of your set up for years!

FDChappie

Same here. I've been thinking about how to reproduce it with a 4x8 utility trailer I have. I'm sure it will make someone very happy.

Lou

Another couple of posts like these and I'm gonna choke up and keep it. I'm not gonna put this on Craig's list because she deserves a good home and I'm not gonna haggle with idiots. IH owners have priority.
This trailer has been all through death valley, the mojave road, the lassen/applegate trail, the white rim trail and much of central Nevada. To this day my favorite sound is the pebbles tossed by the rear tires ringing off the trailer fenders. And the only reason she wasn't at last years fall rallye was because I had to go to germany to test beer quality. I do have priorities.

Lou

Sold! To the man in the 1975 Scout. And it's yellow to boot. The trailer is still in the family and I expect to see it at this years rally!
Many thanks to IH Parts America for maintaining this site. With it I found the one buyer that knew exactly what I was selling.

Hondo

It's at its new home! Yeah, I know I'm going to eat crow from some of the babs guys for paying more for the trailer than most of them paid for their scouts, but then this isn't just any trailer. The tera low and fuel injection that the funds were set aside for will just have to wait for another year - the trailer wouldn't wait. I have to admit that I coveted my neighbors camping trailer at the rally a couple of years ago, and when the opportunity came up to actually acquire this fine piece of American engineering and craftsmanship, I did not hesitate. It now fills a hole in one of my side yards where another Scout would have fit, and thats a good thing - found myself looking at 800s lately, it's an affliction.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lou

It was tough letting this unit go. My buddy brought some beers over to ease the pain as he'd camped in what he called the taj mahal also. It did my heart good to see that hondo will be the perfect person to keep the pack mule on the road. Here's the unit yesterday as she headed south from my house.
God speed.....and many dirt roads........

Attachments

Scooter

And hondo didn't even bother to swing by to show it off on his way home - bum. Just kidding. Congratz and enjoy