Output shaft slop excessive?

Sukey

How much slop is ok at the interface between the shaft coming out of the transfer case, and the shaft that meets it from the front differential? Should I be able to see so much spline? Working on a project restoration that is currently not in a driving state, and noticed the slop while underneath.Vehicle is a 1970 1200d pickup, by the way. Thanks!image.jpgimage.jpg

FDChappie

If you can detect any slop the joint is worn out and needs to be replaced. Is the truck lifted? If that is all the engagement you have with the weight of the truck on the wheels you need a longer slip joint as well.

Sukey

the vehicle is off the ground on an automotive lift at the moment, though I do recall there being a similar amount of slop when it was on the ground as well. As far as I can tell, the truck has its original suspension (no lift kit), though I have no idea if someone before me installed a slip joint that was too short for the application. If I push upwards where the two shafts interface, I get about 1/4" of slop/play. Any ideas on where I would determine the correct slip joint length? Thanks, FDChappie, for your help.

You will need a new front shaft and or the slip yoke section cut off and replaced by a driveline shop, they are a mated matched piece.

Proper name is called a Prop shaft or drive shaft.