Needed Dana 27 rear axle

Bayou Blaster

After spending the last couple of weeks trying to sort out steering issues on my 65 Scout 80, I take it out for cruise around town & snap the right rear axle while making a RH turn. WTF! Not off-roading, on the street. I do not see any replacements on IH parts.
Does anyone have a Dana 27 passenger side rear axle for sale?

Attachments

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
You really need bigger axles if you're going to run tires bigger than stock. The factory Dana 27 axles barely survived with factory size tires, so they will not do any better with anything larger.

Bayou Blaster

Jeff, do you have any new or used passenger side axles for sale? I need to replace the axle, bearing & brake backing plate. I realize it needs upgrade, but I’m not willing to invest what it will take so I plan to get it driveable & sell it.

Bayou Blaster

You really need bigger axles if you're going to run tires bigger than stock. The factory Dana 27 axles barely survived with factory size tires, so they will not do any better with anything larger.
Jeff, do you have any new or used passenger side axles for sale? I need to replace the axle, bearing & brake backing plate.
Rodney
713-201-7880

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Jeff, do you have any new or used passenger side axles for sale? I need to replace the axle, bearing & brake backing plate.
Rodney
713-201-7880
Not sure what we currently have on used axles. Best to call our parts department to put in a request. 530-274-1795

Scoutboy74

Does this have the differential offset to that side for one short and one long shaft? Do you have the line set ticket so you can pull the rear axle code? With '65 being the last year of the 80 model, I'm a little curious about you still having a 27 in the rear, when the tapered 44 rear was already commonplace by then. Very few changes were date certain with IH, so anything is possible. I'm just curious is all.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Does this have the differential offset to that side for one short and one long shaft? Do you have the line set ticket so you can pull the rear axle code? With '65 being the last year of the 80 model, I'm a little curious about you still having a 27 in the rear, when the tapered 44 rear was already commonplace by then. Very few changes were date certain with IH, so anything is possible. I'm just curious is all.
I thought the same until I started reading a bunch of LST's around that time frame. They were still putting 27's under the 800 well into 1966. Most likely they were doing that until all the inventory was dried up on 27's.

Bayou Blaster

It has 27A casted on the rear end & the axle housing diameter is 2.25” OD as compared to 2.80” OD of the Dana 44 on my Bronco

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I cannot remove the broken axle. From what I’ve read there should be nothing holding it inside the housing. There’s not much area left to get a good hold on it. Any recommendations on how to get the axle out?
Weld something to the end of the broken axle shaft that a slide hammer can grab onto. Then slide hammer that puppy out.