• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Need Help

kabniel

I just finished hooking up the last connection for my afi system. Tried starting it & cannot keep it running right. I finally got it timed to 0 degrees with it sputtering the whole time. I plug back in the wire so that the ECM can take control of timing, turn off & back on & it wont stay running. If I disconnect from battery to clear errors & try again, timing seems completely different. I have not been able to keep this thing running for more than 20 seconds without my foot on the gas.

Btw: I have checked for vacuum leaks, have not checked fuel pressure because I do not have a gauge.

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Knowing the fuel pressure would help.

Afi has recently discovered and informed me that on some systems(including their systems for Ford and GM engines) that were shipped out the orange and purple wires going from the distributor to the hei module May need to be switched if a timming problem occurs. Check the wires going to the hei module and make sure that the purple wire is on the terminal marked with the letter 'n' and that the orange wire is on terminal 'p'.

kabniel

I switched those wires around & that helped me get the timing set to 0, but it still barely runs for a few seconds then dies. Even after plugging back in the blue wire to allow ECM to control spark & timing.
Hooked up a fuel gauge right before the tb using a mr gasket fuel pressure gauge adapter (#2975). It is only measuring 12 psi with all new 3/8 steel line for the supply & then used 3/8 fuel injection hose to attach to the pump, filter & tank. For the return, I used the existing plastic line that ran from the charcoal canister & hooked it up to the evaporator canister port on the gas tank.
Edit: I removed the line that vents the fill tube into the tank & placed my return on that port to see if it would make a difference. No.
I have until Friday to get this thing ready for the truck show here in carlisle pa & I haven't even started cleaning it or making it pretty yet.
Someone please help.

Last edited:

Bill USN-1

F.I. Moderator
There's cross posting of the same info on here and on the bb.

I answered some on the bb and others have contributed.

My personal concern is getting too deep in troubleshooting when this is a new afi system.

You don't want to cause more damage then you fix.

Your fuel looks a liitle Rich and May need a chip adjustment but you need to drive and log data for at least 30min to get a good avg to see where it is.
The knock won't mean anything since afi does not install the knock sensor unless you ask for it.

kabniel

Update:
I have been working with andy & norm @ afi. They shipped me out a new chip and injector pod. Works much better now.
Thank you to all that helped.