Mounting Tailgate 1966 IH Pickup 1200A

Soft_Click

When I bought my 1966 IH Pickup 1200A, it came with a tailgate from another like model that looks like a direct fit. I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to remove the cylindrical / post mounts. It looks like I'll need to remove one or both of them, slide them into the tailgate, then reattach. Both are fitted with what look like flathead bolts, but I can't get them to budge. I spent $25 on a 1/2" drive flat head and it's just tearing up the metal. Assuming they're standard left-loosening bolts, but maybe I shouldn't do that haha.

Any ideas? I can cut the mounts and weld them back on, but I'd really like to avoid that. Especially since I'm hoping to paint the truck and tailgate someday.

Attachments

Scoutboy74

Yeah, IH hadn't quite figured out how to make tailgate RnR a simpledy snap like at least Chevy/GMC and perhaps Ford had by then. On the other hand, it does add a dose of anti-theftity that requires at least a little more effort put forth on a crime-uhnulz part to abscond with said gate.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Best method is to weld a nut to the face of the screw. The heat from welding will help break it free and the nut will give you a better bite on the bolt.

Soft_Click

Thanks, Jeff!

I already drilled out one side, working on extracting those bolts next. I’ll use half your advice and hit them with a torch first. Might even need to drill and tap at this point.

Luckily I have my carburetor to distract me for a while