• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Matt's Full Width Scout II

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
This is a recent project we completed for our good customer Matt p. The Scout was trailered to us as the current spring over axle lift made it unsafe to drive. We pretty much ripped everything out and replaced it with a Dana 44 front axle and GM 14bolt rear axle out of a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup. A cv rear driveline was installed along with a long travel front driveshaft. The Scout already had a reverse shackle but with the short front fangs it left no room for the hysteer so we replaced the front fangs with some CPT ones to make clearance for the tierod. We did leave the shackles below the frame to save a little labor of redoing it thru the frame. The front axle had a powrlok installed along with 5.13 gears. Flat top knuckles were machined for a partsmike hysteer system. The front brakes were completely redone. The rear axle had a custom disc brake kit installed along with a detroit locker and 5.13 gears.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Matt has his Scout back in the shop for a new cage. Here are some pics from the last couple days work.

This is what Matt was using for a rollbar/cage. It was already in the Scout when it was purchased.

Before cage fabrication could begin Darren and I had to replace the right front body mount as it was rusted away. We also replaced all the body bushings with new ones.

With the upper floor cut out you could see all the trapped dirt.

Body mount was completely removed.

This was a clean floor when we started.

New body mount wedge was first welded in.

Followed by the floor mount.

With the body mount all welded in a new partial floor patch was fabbed and welded in.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
With the body mounts solid we could now move on to the cage.

We started with the 'b' hoop.

Followed by the main side bars.

We reinstalled the hard top to test fit and welded in both front and rear main bars.

Followed by some lower door bars.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Darren and I got the roll cage for the most part completed. Just needs to be painted and the seats and seatbelts reinstalled.

This is the lower carriage that mounts the factory rear seat to the cage.

Beginning of the front seat mounts.

Attachments

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
After the cage was built Darren and I fabbed up some simple rock sliders and rear quarter panel guards. We also mounted the cage to the frame in four spots. Here are pics of the completed work.

Attachments

Last edited:

Scouty

hood louvers and fan shroud

Installed a set of hood louvers from Jeff. Placement over the manifolds really lets the heat out :mad5: . I added a fan shroud (from IHPartsAmerica) and cut out part of the inner fenders at the same time I added the louvers, so the engine temp went down considerably. Also noticed a big difference in the under the hood temp, you can actually feel the heat coming out the louvers when you put your hand over them. The reduced heat also makes it nicer in the cab, before these latest mods it felt like the heater was on all the time, especially when the side vents were open. Now when the vents are open you can actually feel cool air coming in. Added a new SSII grill (from IHPartsAmerica) while I was at it.

Last edited:

Scouty

RuffStuff diff cover

Picked up a RuffStuff diff cover for the 14bolt from IHPartsAmerica :winky:

Last edited:

Scouty

dual batteries and starter

Finally got the dual batteries and selector switch (IHPartsAmerica), new starter (IHPartsAmerica) and Ford solenoid installed (thanks Craig). Po made a real mess with the wiring, so took almost 2 days to get everything installed and cleaned up. Big thanks to Jesse for the help and garage space.

[/quote]

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Looking great Matt!

Looks like you and Jesse did a top notch job on the dual battery install.

Scouty

looking great Matt!

Looks like you and Jesse did a top notch job on the dual battery install.
Thanks Jeff,

we ran into some wiring issues that slowed down the install. As you know, the things previous owners do really make you :frown2: your head. Love the switch.

Scouty

Well I finally had Jeff do up my Scout Dana 300. I had purchased a Scout 300 about 6 months ago, and had been debating if I should dump it and my 727 and go with a 727 with a Jeep tailhousing and a Jeep Dana 300 or atlas. After seeing what r290 had to go through to get his stak box installed I decided to keep it simple and have Jeff build the Scout 300. The 300 has a tera low 4:1 gear set, an advance adapter heavyduty output shaft, and a twinstick kit. While it was apart an overhaul kit was installed so basically the case is brand new. I've heard stories about the tera low gears letting go, but I'm hoping the combination of the auto trans and a light foot will protect the gears. I've put my tera low gears through a bunch of crap in my yellow Scout, and there still going strong, so I'm pretty confident they will hold up. I haven't had a chance to shot any pics, maybe Jeff has a few. If not I will get some pics up soon. First run should be this weekend.

Thanks again to Jeff and Darrin for their great work!

nate46and2

Do you have to move the spring perch's on the front full width d44 or do the spring perch's line up with the width between the Scout springs? Thanks

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
do you have to move the spring perch's on the front full width d44 or do the spring perch's line up with the width between the Scout springs? Thanks
They do not line up however they are relatively close(I believe 1/2" difference).

ihwild

Is the turning radius reduced much by going full width or is it actually determined more by the tire width? What width are those axles and how far do the tires stick out? I am thinking of going to a 14 bolt ff rear axle or a Dana 60 ff if I can find one cheap enough. Until then I might put a locker in one of the axles I just don't know which one yet.

Rich