• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Jack for 1974 Scout II 4x4 L6 with 31X10.5-15 tires

presence

Vehicle specs:
1974 International Harvester Scout II
l6 258, 4 speed manual
original drive train parts, original frame and body
31x10.5x15 tires

hey guys,

I'm kevin, and I bought my first IH car yesterday. Everything checks out mechanically (not so great cosmetically, but its not a dollhouse), but one thing is missing. A usable jack. I have the original bottle jack that came with the vehicle, but its far too short to lift the Scout high enough to remove a wheel.

What do you guys usually get for this kind of situation? I was considering just buying a silverado 1500 jack from the salvage yard just to get it done, but I don't have any experience with the challenges related to dealing with a Scout problem that requires a jack. Any pointers?

Last edited:

Hondo

Most people get a high lift jack, but then you have to find a place to store it. Never tried with a bottle jack, but seems it would work for changing a tire if it was under the bottom u-bolt plate of the tire your changing, maybe with a block of wood under it.

presence

Yeah, I would have to fab something on the exterior to make that work, and for now I just want something I can just throw into the cab somewhere to change tires...I'm not going to do any technical driving with this (at least not for now, until everything is in order) so I was hoping for something that would fit inside the thing.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I would buy a small floor jack that comes in a plastic case. Easy to store yet very useful when needed. Most auto parts stores sell them including places like sears, kmart, etc.

presence

I would buy a small floor jack that comes in a plastic case. Easy to store yet very useful when needed. Most auto parts stores sell them including places like sears, kmart, etc.
I just ended up buying a 2.25 ton jack as you suggested. No reason to suffer.

presence

Have you guys had trouble using these kinds of jacks on unfriendly roads? *largely shale, or very uneven?

Hondo

I actually mounted my hi lift on the floor in front of the back seat. Drilled a hole through the floor for the center and made a bracket that mounts to my show bar mounts for one end. About the only one that rides in my back seat is my daughters springer spaniel sirus. Backs kind of dirty, just got back from a week of camping and heading down to hollister this weekend, so it's just going to get dirty again. Just got to improvise for a jack on rough terrain, just be extra carefull about getting body parts under the truck.

http://forums.IHPartsAmerica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27750&stc=1&d=1442605200

Attachments

Last edited: