• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Installing Holley 2300

mbiver

Just got the new Holley 2300 P/N 0-7448 kit from IH Parts and had a couple installation questions. The kit came with the thick mounting gasket, and also a thin gasket (picture attached). I’m only supposed to use the thick gasket, correct? The thin one is just extra? Also, regarding the gold mounting studs, do I just finger tighten them to start and then the hold down nut fully tightens them when torqued? Thanks.

Attachments

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
yes on the thick gasket only. No sealant.

The studs should be screwed in ahead of time. Use two nuts threaded on the upper threaded end, tighten to each other and use the top nut to screw the stud in. Then remove the nuts.

I would use a little medium strength thread locker on the threads of the stud threaded into the manifold before installing the stud.

mbiver

Thanks, Robert Kenney. The 2 nut trick worked like a charm. Also took your advice on the thread locker. Got the carb mounted on the thick gasket only and hand tightened the nuts. Not too tight though since it only called for 60 inch pounds. Removed the EGR valve and covered with the nice IH plate in the kit. Moving on to the throttle linkage and wondering if anyone knows where all the parts go that came with the kit from Jeff and team? They included it so I assume I need it. Where do I mount the included summit return spring bracket and which hole on the linkage do I bolt the throttle to? If anyone has pictures of a finished/complete install on another Scout 2/345 engine I’d love to see it. Or if anyone has instructions that go along with these kits...anything helps. Thanks!

Attachments

mbiver

Ok, so I saw a couple of super short videos online and kinda just winged it. I stuck a bolt in the hole up by the upper coolant return/thermostat housing, put the skinny spring inside the thick sprint and then hooked them to the bolt and throttle linkage on the carb. I then just attached the existing throttle cable to it as well. Not really sure what all the other parts in the kit are for so if anyone has more clear steps or a couple pictures of their setup I’d still be interested. Was I supposed to use the 2 springs, one inside the other? I saw one video online that had it that way, and one that didn’t. Regardless, I fired it up and she runs great. There was a stutter every couple revolutions and that has completely disappeared. And it will actually idle just fine at 500 rpms...crazy! I bumped it up to about 650 per the sticker on the valve cover. One interesting thing though. After I had run it for about 15 minutes then shut down for a bit, the next time I started it, some black soot came shooting out the tailpipe. Not sure what that’s all about. Was it just because it hasn’t run right in so long and now that it’s actually getting the proper fuel ratio it’s breaking some carbon loose? I don’t know. Anyway, thanks again and any insight welcome.

Attachments

Scoutboy74

Looks good to me. Spring inside a spring hooked to a solid point directly ahead of the linkage. No tension when throttle is relaxed, tension when throttle is applied. The sooty discharge just looks like condensation mixed with carbon. It happens sometimes. Engine needs to be heated up and worked. Nothing to be concerned about unless you see black smoke and she smells too rich at the pipe all the time.