• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

IH Serpentine Belt Set-up

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Started working ona serpentine belt set-up for the IH engine. First thing I did was have the crank dampner machined for a 6 groove serpentine belt. So far I have only installed the dampner and power steering mount. The power steering pulley is almost perfect. I'm waiting on both the alternator and a/c pulleys so I can mount those. The alternator should line right up. I'm already making a custom mount for the a/c compressor so that won't be a problem lining up that pulley.

Attachments

SSV

Idler(s) or brackets (adjustment) for tension? Smog pump plans in the future? Thought: newer ac compressor/pulley off a vehicle that runs a serpentine belt already. Gotta check direction of rotation to find the right compressor tho'.

Looks, interesting. :gringrin:

:cool:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
This one is somewhat custom to the application. No smog pump but will be using a sanden compressor. I got a little further yesterday. Ordered four idler pulleys that should be waiting for me at the local napa. I'm also waiting on the correct a/c pulley. If it stops raining I plan on going to pic-n-pull for a waterpump pulley. Its definetely going to be a "busy" set-up with all the idlers but its the only way as of now that I can get every accessory turning in the correct direction and have adequate belt coverage on the pulley's.

Attachments

SSV

Here's a thought for ya & May eliminate an idler or 2 > palmer marine engines ran 'backwards' (so I understand) & therefore used a 'backwards' rotation wp too.

Remember justin (rip) on the 'old' bb? He got one (vane style) one time & couldn't understand why his temps (he had temp issues forever) went even higher than before. He pulled it (and pic'd it for us) & we all saw it was a reverse rotation wp. Ie; palmer marine engine wp.

Anyway: you wouldn't need a grooved pulley & could run the belt under the wp pulley & maybe eliminate 2 idlers in the process.

Just throwing out ideas for ya Jeff. :gringrin:

hth,

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
here's a thought for ya & May eliminate an idler or 2 > palmer marine engines ran 'backwards' (so I understand) & therefore used a 'backwards' rotation wp too.

Remember justin (rip) on the 'old' bb? He got one (vane style) one time & couldn't understand why his temps (he had temp issues forever) went even higher than before. He pulled it (and pic'd it for us) & we all saw it was a reverse rotation wp. Ie; palmer marine engine wp.

Anyway: you wouldn't need a grooved pulley & could run the belt under the wp pulley & maybe eliminate 2 idlers in the process.

Just throwing out ideas for ya Jeff. :gringrin:

hth,

I thought of reverse rotating the water pump but what other cooling issues will arise???? Cooling of the engine will be completely reversed. If I did reverse rotate the water pump I wouldn't even need a pulley as the belt could ride right on the pump itself. But to be safe I'll just keep things rotating the direction it was intended.

Dave Walters

I believe all reversing the pump will do is get water to the heads first, which will cool them better. Doubt the rest of the system cares. You May need to turn the t-stat around. I'll do a bit of asking. Got a couple guys up here pretty skookum on this sort of thing.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I believe all reversing the pump will do is get water to the heads first, which will cool them better. Doubt the rest of the system cares. You May need to turn the t-stat around. I'll do a bit of asking. Got a couple guys up here pretty skookum on this sort of thing.
I really don't want to play around with reversing the water pump as these engines were not designed to be cooled this way. It also May not work right with the water pump housing. You would also have to change the fan blade as well. Thats too much too change in my opinion. I'd rather keep it simple so to speak by keeping every accessory turning in their proper direction with a simple bolt on kit.

I really don't want to play around with reversing the water pump as these engines were not designed to be cooled this way. It also May not work right with the water pump housing. You would also have to change the fan blade as well. Thats too much too change in my opinion. I'd rather keep it simple so to speak by keeping every accessory turning in their proper direction with a simple bolt on kit.
X2. I have a lt-1. The cooling setup is very different than my gen1 sbc.

Keep up the good work!

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I've been working on this a little here and there. I've got the whole configuration down to 2 idler pulleys and one auto tensioner. It would make it a lot easier to ditch the auto tensioner and use the alternator to tension the belt but I'm not done staring at the set-up. Ideally I would like the tensioner to be between the alternator and crankshaft as that is the end of the load so to speak.

Attachments

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Here's the final rendering of the serpentine set-up. The auto tensioner has been ditched in favor of a "jack-screw" setup which will keep more even tension on the belt.

Attachments

Michael Mayben

IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online
Now I'm a "fan" of the serpentine drive ya got goin'! Ditchin' the slap-happy auto tensioner makes me feel a lot better!

A jack screw tensioner puts you in charge of belt tension, and not some crackhead engineering intern at GM!

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Its not ready for market yet. We're getting ready to test the first set-up any day now. From there things will get rolling but no idea as to when kits will be available or pricing.

Allan E

I had to ditch the generator setup in my b120 to get it to fit inside the engine compartment when I switched to a 392. The stock 304 setup was tight, and the extra 3/4" made a difference. This setup looks to be much wider on both sides.

Will there be clearance issues in the Scout?

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
The serpentine belt system is no wider than a stock vbelt system except for the p/s pulley which is a little larger. More testing needs to be done in order to confirm that there will be no issues when installing the serpentine belt system in a stock Scout II.

Karl

Just dropping in to let you know of more interest for this kit. I'm rebuilding a 79 Scout terra w/ 345, and I'm looking forward to updating some of the tech in it. And being able to properly bolt everything down will be nice. I'm assuming there will be a non-ac variant? I can't wait to see the finished product! I'm glad I found you guys.