• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Hi- steer set up

Hey fellas.

Finally got to drive the scout with your SOA and hi steer set up.

It seems a little light and floaty on the front end. Just wondering if you have any recommendations for alignment specs on this set up?

I currently have the toe set about 1/16" toe in 1/8" overall front to back measurement on the front wheels.

I set the caster at 5* and my camber is as close to 0* as possible.

Do you recommend a steering stabilizer? Or maybe invest in a ram assist? I'm going to readjust the lash in my steering box to see if that makes any difference aswell. (it was rebuilt)

I'm sitting on 32s right now but I have a set of 35s coming in 2-3 weeks. And I'll get it aligned with the new tires.

Thanka guys enjoy your national holiday!

Forgot to mention I put one of those Ruffstuff "the Cure" delrin pucks on the dranklink balljoint @the Y link.

Last edited:

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I usually set my toe to 1/16” at the wheel (we use bare wheels with no tires mounted). You might want to add some more toe if that 1/16” is at the outer tire. Aside from that too much tire air pressure will give a floaty effect.

Okay, I'll look at doing that.

How I set it was made aluminium angle plates with the bolt pattern in them mounted to the hubs. checked the toe at the furthest outside edges which was 27" from end to end.

So I should be checking the toe at say the 7-8" (15-16" wheel) from center mark? And shoot for 1/8" from there?

Also what do you think about that RUff Stuff "the cure" any of the people that are running this set up that you guys are aware of running that? Its supposed to eliminate the tie rod roll?

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Okay, I'll look at doing that.

How I set it was made aluminium angle plates with the bolt pattern in them mounted to the hubs. checked the toe at the furthest outside edges which was 27" from end to end.

So I should be checking the toe at say the 7-8" (15-16" wheel) from center mark? And shoot for 1/8" from there?

Also what do you think about that RUff Stuff "the cure" any of the people that are running this set up that you guys are aware of running that? Its supposed to eliminate the tie rod roll?
Again, we generally set toe to 1/16" at the wheel regardless of tire size. So if you are using some other method to measure, your measurement may differ.

No comment on Ruff Stuffs part as we have not tried it out.

Okay Jeff I need just 1 more question answered.

Is that 1/16 each wheel turned in or 1/16 over all difference using the two tape measure method?

Is that 1/16" toe in on each tire, or is that 1/16" overall toe in using the two tape measure method, one on the front of wheel and one at the back?

Sorry I am an alignment newbie.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
1/16" overall toe in. So if you have 80" measuring across the two wheels at the back of the wheels, the front measurement should be 79 15/16".

Hi Jeff,

Another question for you on the Hi-steer set up.

I've got to drive the Scout a few times now and I've got my drag link centered up, toe set where I want it and I get a bit of a wander at low speeds but it seems to smooth out at high speeds 55-60 mph.

Would a steering stabilizer help up front at all or should I go right to hydro assist. It's only got an older set of 32s on there right now but should have a new set of 35s next week if they come in.

I'm also curious about the rear stabilizer bar But due to my exhaust routing id need to go above the frame or under with the pillow blocks, is there a set up that works with stock exhaust routing?

Michael Dimock

IH Parts America Sales Assoc.
If your steering box was recently rebuilt and doesn't have any play then I would invest in a steering stabilizer. For normal trails, highway, and occasional rocks the ram assist isn't necessary. If you are going to rock crawl it a lot, then the assist would be the way to go.

To clear exhaust, I would run the pillow block bearings under the frame for the rear sway bar. Thanks.

harrywt

I usually set my toe to 1/16” at the wheel (we use bare wheels with no tires mounted). You might want to add some more toe if that 1/16” is at the outer tire. Aside from that too much tire air pressure will give a floaty effect.
just to be sure when you say 1/16 at the wheel. this means 7.5" forward of the hub center I think. The service manual says 1/8 but I bet that this is the same as your 1/16 because with 1/16 in front there will be 1/16 in back adding up to 1/8.

I always wondered about toe ins being listed as distances instead of angles. I realize that the angle is very small so distance is better it's just that no one specifies where to measure this distance. I c-clamp angle irons to the rotors and measure as close to the hubs as possible.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I simply mean a 1/16" at the wheel. I don't know how else to explain it. We'll install a bare set wheels (no tires installed) and measure the back side of the wheel and the front side of the wheel and set it to 1/16" toed inward on the front.

I simply mean a 1/16" at the wheel. I don't know how else to explain it. We'll install a bare set wheels (no tires installed) and measure the back side of the wheel and the front side of the wheel and set it to 1/16" toed inward on the front.
With 35s I set mine at 1/8th and the truck drives fantastic. No funky tire wear at all and I've driven lots of miles on it now!

Love the high steer set up!

Looking to install a ram sometime soon.

Just to update this thread. I'm ow going PSC Steering assist.

The cylinder size we spec'd with PSC after measuring Tie rod travel was 6.75", 1.625" x 6.75" ram.

This running 35" Maxxis Razrs keeping 1.125" clearance at full lock on the rear of the front leaf packs. And 1.5" clearance at the front of leaf pack.

This still gives me a rather tight turning radius with out rubbing the leafs, I found that at full lock/ stuff the passenger side was rubbing so I had to reset the steering stops.

harrywt

aha! sorry but I missed the "bare wheel". that is an excellent, reproducible way to do it. thanks for the reply