Help Please

Magic67

Can anyone tell me what the tube coming off the transfer is for and does the speedo cable go in the tranny where the cap is? This is a 77 scout II terra.

Hondo

The only tube coming off the transfer case would be for a vent line, usually there is just a little vented cap is installed in the top of the rear output shaft housing. Some people replace the vented cap with a fitting so they can connect a hose to it, and to run it to some higher place to keep water out when fording. The tube you are talking about maybe the speedometer cable, which also comes off the side of the transfer cases rear output shaft housing. It would help if you posted a picture of what you are talking about.

Magic67

Thanks for the reply yes there is a vent cap on top of the transfer I would assume the tube coming off the rear section of the transfer is for a speedo cable. it just appears to be excessive looking for a cable port.

Hondo

Someone may have cut the speedo cable and left the connector on to protect the threads. This is a Dana 20 which I am assuming is what you have being a 77.
Dana 20 speedo port.JPG

Magic67

Thank you for your reply. I believe your right as they left a section of the old cable it looks in the pics like a union on a piping section so it was confusing to the eye.