• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Hamilton Fuel Injection Distributer

Bill USN-1

F.I. Moderator
Tom,
it's still a lean at idle and that is what's causing the roll at idle.
I'll make the adjustments and get another chip out to you.
Just pop them in an envelope and send back the others.
I'm running short on the plastic chip carriers.

Bill USN-1

F.I. Moderator
Tom a couple adjustments needed from looking at the log.
The iac counts are a little high so you should turn the min idle screw in about 1/2-1 turn. Then adjust the tps to read close to 0% on the winaldl. Normally it goes .2 and then .7 then 1.2. Try to get the .2.

I also noticed that the tps is changing from off to idle. Make sure there is no tension in the throttle cable so the throttle can close completely.

Your temp also is not getting above 170*.
Do you have a cooler stat in there than 180*?

motorider

Bill,

"Tom a couple adjustments needed from looking at the log.
The iac counts are a little high so you should turn the min idle screw in about 1/2-1 turn. Then adjust the tps to read close to 0% on the winald. Normally it goes .2 and then .7 then 1.2. Try to get the .2." I think this will make the idle speed be around 650-700 with the iac closed as I am at 575-600 now. Is this ok?

"I also noticed that the tps is changing from off to idle. Make sure there is no tension in the throttle cable so the throttle can close completely." I will check, however as an fyi I am using a rod between the throttle petal arm and the throttle body.

"your temp also is not getting above 170*.
Do you have a cooler stat in there than 180*?" I used one of the hose and thermostats kits from IH Parts America. I thought it is the 180*, however I will need to check my receipt to verify tonight.

"just pop them in an envelope and send back the others.
I'm running short on the plastic chip carriers." will do.

Tom

Bill USN-1

F.I. Moderator
You can try a half turn on the throttle and see how it does.
Being lean it's probably affecting it to so we don't want to make too many changes before the next chip.
The tps is high tho and that can affect idle.
I forgot you had an 800 with the rod. But need to make sure it doesn't apply pressure on the throttle. I personally run a light return spring on the throttle even tho the TBI has a spring built in.

motorider

I will make the adjustments and checks and then log some more data. It May be the weekend before I can check. Thanks again for your help.

motorider

Bill,
I checked my IH Parts America receipt and I put in a 180* thermostat. This Scout has always been cold blooded with the fixed fan, so I remembered to install the radiator cover and that seemed to keep the temperature nearer to 180*. I turned the idle about 3/8 of a turn in and this set the idle to about 650-700rpm. I then adjusted the tps to 0.2% and then cleared the codes. Took a 30 min drive and logged the attached data.

I have something sticking on the throttle linkage as it tends to come back down to a tps of 0.7 or 1.2% after a drive and if I pull up on the throttle the tps goes to the 0.2%. I will add a spring and see if that helps tomorrow.

Still surging, but less. Now only about a 200 rpm swing. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Tom

Attachments

Bill USN-1

F.I. Moderator
Looks a little better.
We'll see how the new chip does.
I thought you wold have had it today.

I'm still confused why your engine is showing so lean compared to others.

motorider

I was not able to go to the office yesterday to check my mail. I will go tomorrow and look for the chip, then I will send the other two back. I am not sure why it is so lean. I have checked everything I can think of regarding vacuum leaks and I have everything vacuum related disconnected and plugged with the exception of the pcv valve. The valve rattles so I think it is ok, however I will disable tomorrow as well and see of that makes any difference.

Just a thought, I have the pcv valve connected to the original intake manifold port and not to the throttle body port. Does this make a difference? I did plug the tb pvc port.

Last edited:

motorider

Bill,

looks a little better.
We'll see how the new chip does.
I thought you wold have had it today.

I'm still confused why your engine is showing so lean compared to others.
I installed the new chip today and then went through the initial install procedures again as the engine was running at an iac count of zero at idle prior to adjustment. I set the rpm to 600, then set the tps to 0.2%, and added the throttle spring. Now the iac May be a little high as it is in the 80's.

All I have to say is wow. Everything is working very well through all rpm ranges. Even at idle the surge is completely gone and the engine will idle forever with only a 25 to 50 rpm variation.

Attached is the logs. Let me know what you think.

Tom

Attachments

Bill USN-1

F.I. Moderator
Looks good Tom.
I would turn the min idle in about 1/2 turn and reset the tps and see where your at.
The higher the iac at idle the less your throttle blade is open so it can cause the fuel to puddle.

Hopefully you'll be happy with it for a long time.

motorider

Bill,
I will make those adjustments and I am sure the FI will work for a very long time. The Scout will now creep up a very steep hill at 400 rpm and not bog down and flood out. If it stalls, it now starts in gear with the clutch out on that same hill. Very cool!!

I put the two chips in the mail today along with the aluminum Holley TBI/manifold adapter that I purchased incorrectly and independently the first time. I would like to take you up on your offer to exchange this one for your new newfangled ones you are making. As I do not what to be with out a running Scout, I will send you the steel one back as well after I install the new one. Let me know if this still works for you.

I really appreciate your FI kit as well as all the very helpful troubleshooting of my incorrect installation using the wrong adapter. Your and IH Parts America efforts in helping the IH community is also very much appreciated as that effort goes above and beyond in helping people like me.

Sincerely,

Tom young

Bill USN-1

F.I. Moderator
You May not have noticed it but the ac wire that is included in the harness can be connected to the ac clutch wire or to a switch on the dash with 12v on it.
Then the computer can be set to raise the idle to whatever you want.
Like +300rpm for a fast idle while wheeling so you don't need 3 feet all the time.

If you want to incorporate it I will just need to burn another chip to include the added rpm.

I'm happy to help another IH community member.

motorider

Thanks bill,
no hurry, I am going to take it to death valley between Christmas and new years and do not want to change what I have until I get back. I have been thinking about the 300 rpm increase chip and it is something I would like to do. Maybe send the chip with the adapter and I will return the other chip. Let me know if I owe you anything.
Thanks
Tom

motorider

Hi bill,
I had a few setbacks with my Scout unrelated to the fuel injection. I needed to remove the engine, dissemble, clean, and put everything back together. See this thread for the details.

Anyway, I reset the initial set up following the procedures: timing set to 0 with the bypass disconnected; iac closed and set rpm to 500, and tps set to 0.55 volts. The engine runs great with lots of power from say 1,200 rpm to 3,900 rpm. However there is a miss at idle, say from 700 to 1,000 rpm. It is most noticeable when it is just idling, however if you get on the throttle at low rpm it will stumble. The rpm box in the winaldl dashboard jumps from 700 to 6,375 rpm when the engine misses. The actual rpm, of course, does not.

It does not miss when cold and during warm-up. I have looked for vacuum leaks and have found none. When it is missing the timing moves between 5 and 10 degrees bdc.

I started to replace some parts, but like you have said in the past, throwing money after the problem is foolish, so I am stopping and asking for your help. Parts I have replaced are the spark plug wires and the ignition control module without improvement. I did not check fuel pressure, because it has plenty of power above 1200 rpm.

I am at a loss. I feel like it has something to do with the ignition and not fuel, however I have exhausted my troubleshooting ability. Attached are my latest logs from a long varied drive today.

Also this is a link to a video of the issue.

[url="https://youtu.be/kjcvecb5suu"]https://youtu.be/kjcvecb5suu

Do you know what May be the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Attachments

Bill USN-1

F.I. Moderator
Tom,
the miss and log indicate electrical interference.
If it didn't do it before, which it didn't look like, then you have some wires moved around and May be causing the problem.
The plug wires and coil wire need to be loomed so they do not touch any metal or any other wiring.

If it still does it then ohm out the plug wires.
Make sure you have good suppression wires that do not have a wire/spiral core.

motorider

Thanks for the reply bill. It did not do it before so I messed something up. I will look over all the wires and make sure they are good and well routed.

One thing I did noticed is the pickup coil in the distributor is very close to the reluctor. I can get a .010 feeler gauge between, however the pick up coil seems loose. I can lightly move it between touching the reluctor and .030. Also it looked like a few of the fins May have touched the pickup coil. Is this normal? Do you know the spec for the proper gap? I can send a picture if needed.

Thanks again for your help.
Tom

motorider

Bill,
checking the spark plug wires I found one loose on a spark plug. I could not get the wire to connect, so I took out the spark plug to inspect. On the top of the plug was a little metal band that prevented the wire from fully seating. I think the band cam off my old wires. Took the band off, reconnected the wire, and now the engine runs amazingly smooth. Thanks for the help.
Tom