• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Ground Locations for Scout II

SeanStevens24

Hey everyone,
Brand new to this forum, decided to join after not being able to find answers to some of the questions I have on my Scout. I'm currently working on a 1977 Scout II with the 304 and 727 automatic that was sitting in a field for 22 years with it's top off, and I've come across a few problems that I've been stuck on for a few weeks now. The most glaring issue I'm having right now is with the electronics. I have no headlights, taillights, turn signals, or dash lights, and the brand new ignition switch that I just put in does absolutely nothing, which is making me have to run it off of a few wires from the starter and coil to the battery. I've checked all the wiring, cleaned all connections and firewall connections, and cleaned the fuse panel and replaced all the fuses, still no power anywhere. The only thing I can think of now is the grounds, which I have no idea where they are. The singular ground I can find is the battery ground, which connects to the radiator support. I've been underneath, looked for grounds on the block, frame, and body, but can't find any of them. Where are they?
Thank you,
Sean

1975IH200

The Scout II battery ground should be on a cylinder head bolt, left side cylinder head. One bolt should have an extended stud where you attach the Negative (-) battery cable end to with a washer and nut.

Hondo

I would start with a volt meter or a 12VDC test light. You will need one or the other to work on the beast. Find out where you are loosing the battery voltage. I would have to look at a wiring diagram, but recall there being a fusible link somewhere in the engine compartment. The fuse panels also get some weird grey oxidation on them such that you can have voltage on one side of a good fuse and nothing on the other side when looking at the spring clips that hold the fuses. Again need some kind of voltage indicating device.