• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Gearing

nick

I have my 72 scout with the nissan sd33t ,t19 4sd, dana 300 with 44 frunt and rear running 33/12.50s. My qustion is what gearing are people running with this set up to go down the road at 65 but have the little extra power from the gears to pull a hill? I have 3.73 but and thinking 4.10 or 4.56 gears . Any input would be great. Also thinking of swaping in the nv4500 at some point. Thanks

Attachments

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
4 Speed? You want to cruise at your highway speed at or just above your engines peak torque. Split the peak torque rpm and the peak hp rpm (3000 rpm) for better power. The closer you are to peak hp the more wear and tear you have but more surplus power.

Do these specs look right?

SPECIFICATIONS: SD-33T
DISPLACEMENT: 198 cid (3,246 cc)
BORE & STROKE: 3.27×3.94 in.
POWER: 101 hp @ 3,800 rpm
TORQUE: 175 lb-ft @ 2,200 rpm

5 speed: use 4th as a hill pulling gear.

Lots of rpm calculators out there. Punch in the variables and see where you end up.
Well I couldn't wait. :frown2:

@ 65 in 4th gear (1-1)

3.73=2470
4.10=2713
4.27=2826
4.56=3018
4.88=3230

Last edited:

dlang

I put together the page at http://lang.hm/scout/nph-performance6.cgi to try and figure out what gearing would make sense.

it lets you plug in different engine/trans/t-case/tires/gearing and compare the results across the board (at all speeds, not just at one)

plug in the specs for what you are currently driving and play with gear efficiency and wind resistance until it matches your current driving experience. Then add a second set and put in the changes that you are thinking about and it will help you figure out if it's an improvement or not.