• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

FUEL AND AMP GAUGE

firebolt35

Need to know whether the amp gauge is connected to the starting circuit in a 72 international 1310. I started messing with the fuel gauge and the amp gauge is broken to shit now. Now it wont start at all. Wont even turn the headlights on.

1975IH200

Yes, that is the power source for electrical power for the cab, etc.
The control circuit for the starter is fed by that source.

Wether the Ammeter is good or bad, you can fabricate a 6" long piece of #10 gauge wire and use it as a shunt for the ammeter.
Especially if you have installed a higher amp alternator in the truck.

firebolt35

So youre saying I can splice a wire in place of it to make everything work. What wires would I be splicing to make it work? The ammeter is completely destroyed I either need a new one or to bypass it. Also thank you so much for the reply. Also could I just add a different ammeter and would it work???

1975IH200

For your situation, you could:

1. ...connect the two ammeter wire eyelet terminals together with a small bolt & nut, then tape them with electrical tape to fully insulate the terminals from shorting out on the innards of the instrument panel area.

or

2. ...replace the ammeter with a replacement IH ammeter.

or

3 ...replace the ammeter with an aftermarket ammeter.

optional

...The shunt is recommended for when higher amperage alternators are installed. Won't hurt to add one to the standard amperage alternator/ammeter combo.

Last edited:

1975IH200

I had 3 connections on my ammeter. One white one black and one big blue wire.
1. ...connect the three (3) ammeter wire eyelet terminals together with a small bolt & nut, then tape them with electrical tape to fully insulate the terminals from shorting out on the innards of the instrument panel area.

firebolt35

So I did that and nothing happened at all. I will admit before you suggested that I had a similar idea and connected all three but added a ground wire. When I connected power to the battery it popped my added ground wire. However with just the 3 connected right now I dont get anything.

firebolt35

So i guess you have to connect every single wire that was connected to the fuel AND amp gauge all of the like 8 wires ( I didnt actually count how many) and now it runs again...

Scoutboy74

I don't get why you would have added a ground wire to that mix when there was no ground wire to begin with. There's nothing but hot wires there. They need to be insulated from contact with ground as Scott said. You probably blew the fusible link, aka slow blow fuse on the engine side of the firewall right near the bulkhead connector on one of the two 10GA blue wires.

firebolt35

Nah it runs. I originally wasnt going to add another ground wire but I was talking to my dad and he suggested it. At any rate. Like I said. Once i connected ALL of the connectors together it fired back up. Also you have 3 1210'S?

Scoutboy74

Ok good. The fuel gauge isn't even associated with the ammeter. They just happen to be in the same cluster housing, but they don't have any wires in common. Totally independent of each other. But yes, all of the wires that were on each of the ammeter terminals do have to be combined if you're going to bypass the ammeter. The gauge was serving as a junction for all of those wires. Not the smartest way to do things, but that's how they did it.
Yes, I do have 3.

firebolt35

Its interesting you say the fuel gauge is separate because I had to connect the wires from the fuel gauge as well as the ammeter to get it to fire up. If I just connected the ammeter wires it wouldnt work.

Scoutboy74

There are no loose wires for the fuel gauge. Believe me my young friend, I've got three of these, plus a Scout II, which has the same gauges and much of the same wiring. I've been fiddling around on those gauges for damn near 20 years. I know what I'm talking about here, and Scott will back me up on this. The ammeter gauge has two terminals. A Positive and a Negative. But negative in this case IS NOT a chassis ground. It's just negative polarity. So, when you bypass the ammeter gauge, the group of wires from the POS terminal must be combined with the group of wires from the NEG terminal. And there are a handful of them, eight wires sounds about right. But NONE of them are for the fuel gauge.

1975IH200

Firebolt35 - you clearly cannot read and follow directions.
I'm just glad you didn't set fire to the house or garage.

Clearly I wasted my time today.
I will not repeat that error.

Good Luck with your truck.

firebolt35

Nah you just didnt have the same set up as my truck and were trying to give me directions as if you did. I hooked up the three wires you said to and it didnt do shit. You were just wrong. No need to be an asshole about it...I figured it out anyway though.

Scoutboy74

You had to take a wrench and undue two nuts from the back of that gauge. Each one of the pegs had a certain number of wires attached to it. Maybe one had three and the other had five. Doesn't matter how many. Before you pulled them off, they were all bridged together through that gauge, until it failed. So it just stands to reason if you're going to bypass the gauge, that no matter what the wire count is, be it 2, 3, 8, or 10, that every single one of them will need to be combined and insulated against metal contact. The ignition switch, the fuse block and the headlight switch all get their power from that junction. So that's three of the eight wires. One comes from the battery and one goes to the alternator. Now we're at five. Scott tried to help you in good faith. Maybe he forgot just how many wires were involved at that junction, but as I just got done explaining above, the count doesn't matter. One thing he didn't tell you to do was add a random ground wire to the mix and build yourself an onboard arc welder in the process. And considering how much I had to argue with you over the fuel gauge thing, which you probably still aren't convinced about...nah, I'm thinking maybe you might be one of these young, know it alls that can't hardly be told anything.