• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Fair price for a `74 Terra??

Idaho45guy

Full disclosure... I am not a Scout guy. I've never owned one. But... I'm a lover of old vehicles and my best friend in high school often borrowed his dad's 1970 half-ton puke green 4x4 with the 345 for our hunting trips into the mountains. We had great respect for that old cornbinder.

I've owned dozens of old cars and truck over the years, but never an International. I did find a very nice old `53 2wd shortbed that I tried to buy for a hot rod project, but the farmer wouldn't let it go.

I live in farm country, so there are lots and lots of old cornbinders around the area.

So why did I create an account? Well, my 70yr old father bought a vehicle a couple of years ago and wants to sell it.

He found a `74 Scout Terra pickup sitting in the woods by an even older gentleman's house. He said it ran when parked a few years earlier and was pretty solid, but with the usual Scout rust spots.

Dad bought it for almost nothing and spent a couple of hours and managed to get it running and drove it the ten miles or so back to his house.

His intention was to make it to an errand vehicle for running to the feed store and for hunting.

He's spent the last couple of years fixing little things here and there on it. I know he put in a new gas tank and all news brakes and components from the axles out. I think he spent about $1000 on just the brakes.

He loves the thing, but with a manual and no power steering, it is difficult for him to manage and impossible for my mom, so he bought a newer Jeep Wrangler to replace it.

I took a bunch of pictures of it when it was sitting in the woods for sale, and one pic of it after dad got it running and reliable.

His is a bit rarer in that it came with a dealer-installed canopy that is still in really good shape.

It appears mostly stock with the exception of different wheels and some expanded metal in the back window since the old guy used it for wood gathering for his cabin stove.

Not sure of the miles, but it is the original 6cyl and it smokes a bit on start-up and smells like it burns a bit of oil. I drove it a couple of months ago around town and the steering box is gone, but it was fun and I got lots of thumbs-up from other drivers.

I thought about keeping it since my girlfriend thinks it's sexy as heck and it would be a blast to restore, but I don't have a shop currently.

Some guy stopped by the house last Summer and said his company restores and resells old Scouts and they really wanted dad's pickup, but he offered $2500.

Dad said he was told that it was somewhat of a collector's item and should try to get at least $5k for it.

I have no idea, but I'm sure he could get more than the $2500 offered.

I was hoping that folks here could give some feedback and an honest idea of what he should ask for it.

He is wintering in Arizona until May, so he won't even list it until he comes back to Idaho then.

I'll post the pics I have of it and would appreciate any help as to suggestions of fair value and where to list it for sale when dad's ready...

I'll get the pics uploaded shortly...

Scouty

Cool truck! I don't think it's a Terra though. Bed isn't long enough and it looks like a metal half cab rather than the fiberglass Terra top. The rear shell is cool, I've only seen 1 other that was factory. The straight six 258 isn't that desirable and the rear wheel wells look like they are toast. How is the rust in the rest of the truck, floorboards, front window frame, etc? If it has rust issues $2500 is probably a fair price, maybe the factory shell kicks it up a bit, maybe $3000.

Idaho45guy

Cool truck! I don't think it's a Terra though. Bed isn't long enough and it looks like a metal half cab rather than the fiberglass Terra top. The rear shell is cool, I've only seen 1 other that was factory. The straight six 258 isn't that desirable and the rear wheel wells look like they are toast. How is the rust in the rest of the truck, floorboards, front window frame, etc? If it has rust issues $2500 is probably a fair price, maybe the factory shell kicks it up a bit, maybe $3000.
Thanks for the reply! I'm such a noob with Scouts that I didn't realize that there were other models with beds other than the Terra.

I think you're right about it not being an actual Terra since I remember seeing Scout pickups that were much longer. Rear wheel wells are toast, floorboards are iffy, but I believe the windshield frame and everything else on the upper half of the vehicle is solid.

I don't think I've ever seen a Scout around here that didn't have rust issues, lol. Even though we don't salt the roads like the Midwest, we do get rain and snow and it seems the Scouts rusted if you look at them wrong.

So is there a proper term for his Scout other than "Terra"? Just "half-cab"?

Idaho45guy

Also, I was offered this very cool and solid old IH pickup to buy and restore and turned it down, but I was able to connect the owner with an IH enthusiast on one of my gun forums. That gentleman bought it and is restoring it.

He is probably a member here. It would be interesting to see how it is coming along...

Attachments

Scouty

Thanks for the reply! I'm such a noob with Scouts that I didn't realize that there were other models with beds other than the Terra.

I think you're right about it not being an actual Terra since I remember seeing Scout pickups that were much longer. Rear wheel wells are toast, floorboards are iffy, but I believe the windshield frame and everything else on the upper half of the vehicle is solid.

I don't think I've ever seen a Scout around here that didn't have rust issues, lol. Even though we don't salt the roads like the Midwest, we do get rain and snow and it seems the Scouts rusted if you look at them wrong.

So is there a proper term for his Scout other than "Terra"? Just "half-cab"?
Your Dad's Scout is a Scout II half-cab. My opinion is what I think it's worth here in California. We are kind of spoiled when it comes to solid bodies. In your area that might be considered solid. If you can get $5000 go for it, but out here $3000 to $3500 would be fair.

Like the other truck, that would be pretty cool restored.

Scoutboy74

The Terra and Traveler 118" wheelbase versions were first offered in the 1976 model year. Your dad's '74 is a 100" wheelbase Scout II with the cab top and removable bulkhead instead of the full travel top.

Idaho45guy

It's now officially for sale, but he's asking $5k. Had plenty of people stop to look at it, but no bites at that high price.

It's not rare as it wasn't a special model.

Cash in hand is gold.

He probably should have taken the $2500 offered on the spot.

There is obvious rust and major obvious mechanical issues you have explained to us (steering box and worn out engine.)