• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Engine ID

Big Chris

Still trying to identify wether I have a 304 or 345. Looked at the motor near the fuel pump and the numbers were 4 45 and then when I pulled off the left side valve cover I found a little metal tag below the carb that said v304 and under the valve cover a number cast in the head near the front that also said v304.

I know this has been posted several times but a pic would be greatly helpful.

Thanks.

This is in a 75 with manual trans and a 2bbl carb.

FDChappie

If this engine is in a truck then look at the dipstick. If the mounting bolt is in the upper hole it's a 304.

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
if this engine is in a truck then look at the dipstick. If the mounting bolt is in the upper hole it's a 304.
It's the other way around. The 345 has the tall deck and it would require the upper ds hole. The 152 and 304 use the lower hole.

The 304 being cast into the heads precludes a 345.

Scooter

Here's a couple of photos of the engine id location. The 266 was mounted, with all accessories attached, in a 69 800 Scout when photo was taken. And the 345 was also mounted in engine compartment when photo was taken.
As you're facing the passenger side of motor, that machined boss were the stamping is, is directly above the motor mount just to the left of the fuel pump. The 304 id stamping is also in this same exact location. At least every 266/304/345 motors that I have seen are like this

Due to the extremely small space in the 800, I used my smart phone to take that photo of the 266. With small piece of sand paper had to sand off the machined surface in order to get a good enough photo to read.

Attachments

Scooter

scooter thanks a bunch those pictures really help. I was looking in the wrong spot.
No problem.

Figured that would be the best way to show where the engine id is located. It just so happened that I actually needed to identify the exact motor size of the 266 in order to order the proper parts for the fuel injection upgrade that it received. I was way too lazy to pull the motor just to read that number. So the camera on my phone and sand paper came in real handy

and the photo of complete motor/trans sitting there also is another great view of where it's located

Big Chris

So I still can't see the number. But it appears from the pics posted that the exhaust manifold also needs to be pulled.

Scooter

so I still can't see the number. But it appears from the pics posted that the exhaust manifold also needs to be pulled.
Both the photos that I posted earlier, had exhaust manifolds still installed when taken. The 266 has stock oem manifolds and the 345 has stan try-y headers.

As I mentioned previously, when the motor, with all the accessories still attached, is installed in the engine compartment, space is extremely tight and can't stick head in there to see it. Which is why I ended up using the camera on my smart phone to take the photo of the 266. The 345 has a one inch body lift, that gave me enough room to view that id pad between the inner fender well and frame. I did not have to take apart anything in order to take the photos.

1975IH200

so I still can't see the number. But it appears from the pics posted that the exhaust manifold also needs to be pulled.
No need to pull engine or remove exhaust manifold.

Step 1. Open hood.*
step 2. Wipe off flat/pad with rag, use cleaner if necessary.
Step 3. Look at flat/pad with flashlight and inspection mirror.
Step 4. Pat yourself on the back.
Step 5. Close hood.*

*note: if hood is not installed, skip steps 1 and 5.

Big Chris

This is why I hate discussion forums. Always some smart ass has to comment. If you don't have helpful info please don't comment. If you're so good 1975ih200 why don't you post a youtube video to show us lowly peons how it is done:mad:

1975IH200

this is why I hate discussion forums. Always some smart ass has to comment. If you don't have helpful info please don't comment. If you're so good 1975ih200 why don't you post a youtube video to show us lowly peons how it is done:mad:
L-o-l......I will certainly do that !!!!!!

Edit: the info I provided, photo and instructions, are exactly what you need to know to obtain the information you requested.
Sorry you are upset. :(

so, how do you like my youtube video?

Last edited: