• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Dry Cut Chop Saw

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Recently I purchased a milwaukee drycut chop saw. Got a screaming deal at $350 shipped from amazon.com. Cuts like butter without the dust and sparks with no burr to remove. I highly recommend this saw.

Attachments

Michael Mayben

IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online
What's the cutter medium Jeff (no dust)??? Diamond wheel?

Momma needs to snake one o' them for me! Will ya reinforce that for me?

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Its a special carbide blade. I already made the mistake of cutting a thick ass piece of metal and got the blade hot when the material was laid flat. Now all it does is throw sparks:mad5: . I'd still recommend the saw, just don't cut massive chunks of steel like I do here.

Joe D.

They make similar blades for a regular 7 1/4" circular saw. They cost about 10 times more than carburendum blades, but last about 10 times as long, and cut twice as fast. Very handy for cuts in large sheets of metal. Better keep 2 hands on the saw at all times, those kickbacks can be nasty.

Plug Ugly

Thought I would chime in on an old topic.

I had a bunch of birthday gift cards to sears, so I purchased the evolution dry cut saw. Soooo much nicer than that damn milwauke abrasive I had. As loud or louder, and much more shrill sounding, but the cuts are nice and clean (no prep to weld aside from maybe beveling edges, etc). Also, no dust. It does produce a very fine "chip" but its much easier to clean up than all the dust. Dry cuts are awesome. Expensive, but aswesome.

Michael Mayben

Welcome to the forum fred! About time ya showed up around here!

Regarding this chop saw subject, has anyone had any experience with a "heavy duty" variable speed control/rheostat for a "chop"-type saw?

I have a dewalt 12" sliding compound miter say which nearly built this house! I cut a lot of light gauge aluminum extrusions/tubing/angle/sheet (up to 3/16") with it. It certainly has the reserve capacity to chop steel (up to 1/4" I think) if I could slow it down. I use the frued highdollar blades for laminate flooring for some aluminum and works just fine, also have a couple of frued non-ferrous blades for the heavier gauge aluminum. We have tons of saw blade grinders up here in timber country who can custom fab any blade I need.

But I gotta slow the saw down for cutting ferrous materials, this is not an every day, constant use thing that will reduce the service life of this tool. But I'd like to take advantage of it's precision cutting ability in angle situations for doing metal fab more efficiently.

Craig

The plastic parts will suffer with that saw. Hate to see the saw that built your house get hurt:(

I have the same saw.:gringrin: when it comes to angles you have to cut a lot to get them spot on. I figured out how to get tape measure lined up and using a straight edge to figure out where the cut will go, plus the saws walks a bit on angles so you need the clamp tight. I welded a 3x6x.25 flat bar to the stock backing plate to firm it up. I scribed a line for the 30, 45 and 90 degrees so I don't have to use those crappy stamped marks. Even after all that you can still be off when making cuts, but mine are a lot closer then they used to be. I could have pick up a h. Band saw for free, but no room to store it. Thats what you need to make repeatable cuts. Kick my self for not getting it now, but maybe another day.

Michael Mayben

I've had no problem in making accurate cuts with this rig! It's far more accurate than I am still after more than 10 years of use. Only plastic part is the actual blade guard.

Having it semi-permanently mounted to a stand with table extensions on both sides and roller suports allows many additional clamping options when needed. The table extensions are set true and parallel using a machined straight edge, and the tension gibs are adjusted as needed. Rigidity makes or breaks accuracy with tools such as this.

Joe D.

You should be able to use a speed control like they often use with routers. In my quick search I could only find a cheapo harbor freight example, speed control, but that might suit your needs just fine.

Craig

I meant to take a pic of my metal chop saw with the mods I did to it which helped it to make better cuts. I bought my brother a very nice metal chop saw that has a cast iron base and make very accurate cuts. I looked at about 10 models before buy one for him. The only feature I forgot about was weight, that cast iron base chop saw weight a f'in ton.

Those cheap speed controls just chop the a/c wave, so its like you turning the saw on and off 60 times a second to control the speed. Might work, but you will burn up an inductive motor like you would see on a table saw.

A motors speed is designed in to the motor by the number "poles" most a/c motors are either 1750 rpm or 3400 rpm give or take a bit.