• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

CPT Reverse Shackle Kits ON SALE!!!!!!

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
For the month of May all CPT reverse shackle kits are on sale for $240(regular price $289.95). We have plenty of kits in stock and ready to ship.

IH Parts America: CPT Scout II reverse shackle kit w/ 5" shackle

IH Parts America: CPT Scout II reverse shackle kit w/ 6" shackle

These kits will work with either spring under or spring over vehicles on all 72'-80' Scout II's, terra, and traveler. Improved ride quality. For mild to wild rigs this kit does them all. Kit can be modified for use on Scout 80/800's. New 2.5" wide version coming soon for those of you running wider than stock leafsprings.

Mechanos

Cool... I'm just about at the point where I need one of these kits. Actually, though, I need 2.5" version... Can you estimate just what "soon" means? I guess I could always split the 2" hangers down the middle and weld a strap over the gap. I just need to figure out if I want to go with 5" or 6". I'm leaning toward 5" at this time.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
cool... I'm just about at the point where I need one of these kits. Actually, though, I need 2.5" version... Can you estimate just what "soon" means? I guess I could always split the 2" hangers down the middle and weld a strap over the gap. I just need to figure out if I want to go with 5" or 6". I'm leaning toward 5" at this time.
Around here soon could be anywhere from tomorrow to a year but if you need a set right now I can modify a set for you or you can modify an existing set. Give me a call when you are ready and I'll set you up with a custom kit or at least the provisions to modify the kit for your personal needs.

ihpartschad

IHPA General Manager
I know this is very basic but I am going to bless you with my knowledge anyway. The way I did mine and it worked perfect is I cut the middle out of the brackets so that there were 2 side pieces, then clamped a 2 1/2" strap inbetween the two sides, welded it in and ended up with a perfect it.

Mechanos

I know this is very basic but I am going to bless you with my knowledge anyway. The way I did mine and it worked perfect is I cut the middle out of the brackets so that there were 2 side pieces, then clamped a 2 1/2" strap inbetween the two sides, welded it in and ended up with a perfect it.
That's pretty much what I was talking about.... Would be simple enough. The other thing I'd like to address is the slight difference in spring centerline distance between the sii and the "new" GM axle that will be going it. I believer the GM axle's spring centerline is 0.5" wider than a stock sii. I see in the kit pic that instead of bending the shackles to accomodate the differnece between the width of the frame and the width of the spring, the shackles incorporate a spacer. I don't see why I couldn't use a spacer on the upper end of the outside shackle to space it over an extra 0.25" and then use another spacer on the lower end of the inside shackle to properly position the spring.

ihpartschad

IHPA General Manager
I mounted my front perches slightly outside the frame to make up for the difference, kind of like it a little wider anyway. I am thinking it should add just that much more stability. Then I just made the spacer for the shackle on the rear to fit , if that makes sence. I am really happy with the outcome. Of course I haven't had it on the road but it sure looks like it is going to ride, handle and flex good.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
that's pretty much what I was talking about.... Would be simple enough. The other thing I'd like to address is the slight difference in spring centerline distance between the sii and the "new" GM axle that will be going it. I believer the GM axle's spring centerline is 0.5" wider than a stock sii. I see in the kit pic that instead of bending the shackles to accomodate the differnece between the width of the frame and the width of the spring, the shackles incorporate a spacer. I don't see why I couldn't use a spacer on the upper end of the outside shackle to space it over an extra 0.25" and then use another spacer on the lower end of the inside shackle to properly position the spring.
We performed this very same thing on ld's custom Scout II but I haven't posted pics of it yet. But in a nutshell both shackle plates ended up with spacers welded to them. We also used dogleg shackles since the extra length of the Chevy spring put the shackle pivot point right at the mid-front body mount. I'll try to get pics up tonight if I get a chance.

Mechanos

As usual, I waited until the last minute. I need to give you a call and discuss the exact kit I need, but I'm hopping a jet to alabama in the morning. I come back Thursday, but hopefully I will be able to get ahold of you before Friday. :out: