• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Clutch for built SD33T

RMP&O

Hey guys, I think I was one of the first to buy the nv4500 adapter kit, bought mine back in 2008 or 09 when they first got produced.

I finally got all my ducks in a row for my project. My truck is actually a Nissan patrol but I am using 1986 patrol sd33t, Scout engine plate, Scout flywheel, Scout bellhousing, nv4500, atals 3spd t-case.

The engine was built awhile back. It is highly modified. Two intercoolers, shaved sump, turbo and super charged. It is not a power monster but power comes on from idle with the s/c. It has tons of torque. The truck is running 37-40" rubber on portal axles. It is a rock crawler trailer queen.

I am wondering what to do about clutch. I am not familiar with the Dana clutch I found in my donor Scout sd33t. I am familiar with japanese stuff. The Dana looks like an old school design with the three fingers. I am wanting the best clutch I can get. Is there a better clutch available for the Scout sd33t? Fully able to drill the flywheel to suit a different clutch but this Dana sucker looks a bit unique and is rather tall. Could/should I get it rebuilt for my application?

Any advice or finger pointing in the right direction would be awesome! Last piece of the puzzle I need is a new clutch. Over 5yrs in the making on this drivetrain and I am ready to complete this ordeal, just needs me a good clutch.

Oh and hey on the topic of clutch. I am going to convert mine from manual using rods to hydraulic using a slave cylinder. Seems pretty easy to me to do after looking at it awhile. But has anybody done this or better yet, got pics!? :)

cheers

Last edited:

FDChappie

If that flywheel is the same as a Scout it will be drilled for both 11 & 12" clutch covers. The 12" clutch is a much heavier duty item designed for the smaller loadstar trucks. I put one in my 1210 travellette last year and it is a bruiser. Now I'll put it in neutral during long lights to keep from wearing my left leg out. They will cost you around $750 though.

RMP&O

Thanks for the fast reply chappie. And that sounds just like what I want to hear! I don't know if this flywheel is drilled for a 12" clutch, can drill it easy enough though right? That is if it fits on there. Here is a pic of the flywheel I have, believe this came out of an 1980 Scout.

Dennis on the binder forum suggest I have a custom clutch built. I am ok with that too, easier to not have to do that though. I am also ok with a $500-1000 clutch, kind of expecting that in the grand scope of things anyways.

Cheers

FDChappie

That does not look like an sv flywheel. Diesel must be different. What is diameter of the worn area?