• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Clearance for tie rod?

evanmc

Attachments

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Due to the thicker tubes in our CPT tierod kit we do recommend that caster shims be installed to bring the tierod up away from the springs. At a relaxed state there appears to be enough room, but when the suspension is at full droop that space narrows. The shims will also help the Scout drive/track better.

evanmc

Thanks, I will get the shims, then.

There appears to be a problem with your item descriptions in ordering. I selected the part for a 6 Cylinder engine, but the invoice indicates that it is for V8 or 4.

This is for a 1971 Scout 800 with an AMC 232 6 cylinder engine.

-Evan-

Michael Dimock

IH Parts America Sales Assoc.
Evan,

The V8 and 6cyl used the same tie rod assembly, so that is the one you would need to choose. Thanks.

evanmc

Evan,

The V8 and 6cyl used the same tie rod assembly, so that is the one you would need to choose. Thanks.
Thanks. Unfortunately the invoice indicates V8 or 4 engine. I've copied it from the invoice here. It is not clear from this that I will get the correct part.

CPT-S80-800-TRDL CPT Gold Series Tierod and Draglink Assembly for 1961-71 Scout 80, 800 with V8 or 4cyl Engine

Michael Dimock

Evan,

Underneath the item description on the invoice is the chosen V8 (/6cyl) or 4cyl option. That is either the -8 or a -4. From what I can see, you have chosen the correct -8 one and it is packed up and will be shipping out today. Thanks and have a good weekend!

Attachments

evanmc

Great -- got the parts, and I will install over the weekend.

But now I have two new problems.

I have not installed shims before and have absolutely no clue as to how to go about properly installing them. Do you have any pictures I can go off of?

Secondly, the rod is too large for my stock steering damper mount. So I will need to get a new damper and mount? Do you have any recommendations on ones that will fit?

Thanks,
-Evan-

evanmc

Due to the thicker tubes in our CPT tierod kit we do recommend that caster shims be installed to bring the tierod up away from the springs. At a relaxed state there appears to be enough room, but when the suspension is at full droop that space narrows. The shims will also help the Scout drive/track better.
I need some assistance installing the shims correctly. I have attached a picture of my leaf springs. Probably a dumb question, but where to the shims go, and what orientation? Wide end close to the front or wide end closer to the rear? On top of the leaf or below?

Attachments

evanmc

Either I have done something terribly wrong in installation or you have supplied me with the wrong part. The drag link seems too short to reach the hole in the tie rod. I have attached pictures to illustrate this.

Thanks,
-Evan-

Attachments

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Looks like your order was packaged incorrectly. Our apologies. Please contact our parts department either via phone or email so we can get the correct part sent out to you with a return tag for the incorrect part.

Did you get your other questions figured out? With the long holiday we were not checking this part of the forums while out for the four day weekend.

Michael Dimock

Evan,

The shims go on top of the leaf spring with the thicker side towards the front of the vehicle. If you clamp the leaf spring on both sides of the center pin with two C clamps or large vise grips you can remove the old centerpin. Place the new shim on top, tighten the new center pin, and cut off the extra center pin threads.

I do see something welded to the leaf spring perch on the axle. If it is essentially a spacer then it can be left alone. If it is a shim, then you will need to cut it off when you have the leaf springs out.

We will get the correct length tube sent out today for you. Sorry about that!

evanmc

Looks like your order was packaged incorrectly. Our apologies. Please contact our parts department either via phone or email so we can get the correct part sent out to you with a return tag for the incorrect part.

Did you get your other questions figured out? With the long holiday we were not checking this part of the forums while out for the four day weekend.
Yes, I took things apart and figured out the shims over the weekend.

-Evan-

evanmc

Evan,

The shims go on top of the leaf spring with the thicker side towards the front of the vehicle. If you clamp the leaf spring on both sides of the center pin with two C clamps or large vise grips you can remove the old centerpin. Place the new shim on top, tighten the new center pin, and cut off the extra center pin threads.

I do see something welded to the leaf spring perch on the axle. If it is essentially a spacer then it can be left alone. If it is a shim, then you will need to cut it off when you have the leaf springs out.

We will get the correct length tube sent out today for you. Sorry about that!
Thanks for the pointers. As for the spacer welded to the perch...

There is a difference between the driver and passenger side in the measurement from the bottom of the shock mount plate to the axle. Driver's side 3 3/8" -- Passenger 3 1/8" -- and the plate welded to the driver's side perch is 1/4".

Does this need to be removed?

Thanks
-Evan-