Can't get drum off, hub feels welded to axle

ayb

Hi folks. I've been trying to get the passenger side rear drum off of my 1959 / 1960 B110 (2wd 5-lug 4.5" pattern) for several months now. The wheel spins freely but it the hub part of the drum (the ring that holds the wheel studs) feels like it's welded to the axle.

I first thought it was an issue with the shoes or drum itself so I drilled the pins out and got the shoes loose. I then gave up and cut the drum apart, leaving just the hub part and gutted the whole thing. Now it's really clear that I just can't seem to get the hub off the axle and the drum itself was probably fine. The wheel spins freely in both directions and I've tried:
- screw type axle/drum puller (against the axle stub)
- slide hammer type axle/drum puller
- lots of heat
- hitting it with a 7lb sledge in frustration

Has anyone dealt with a mess this bad before? Any ideas on what to try next?

On the passenger side the drum came right off, no problem, and everything looks good, so I'm hoping this axle is not a total loss (not sure I can find a replacement either way).

Thanks!

IMG_20200710_203744.jpg

ayb

It looks like I should try the screw type puller again and this time sledge hammer the handle (I was shy about hitting it too hard before) and it should come off, and I cut the drum up for no reason :( I have a new drum so I'm hoping to get the hub out of this mess once I'm done and reuse it.

FDChappie

Try putting tension on it with the screw puller and then apply some heat in the hub area. Bet it pops right off.

ayb

I just broke the screw on my puller doing just that. I'm going to heat it for a lot longer now as a last ditch effort but I'm afraid this is seriously seized!

Is there a way I can pull the whole half shaft out? I'm afraid I'll have to shop for a replacement axle at this point.

FDChappie

If it is like the newer axles, there are 4 bolts behind the flange. Remove those and the axle should slide out.

ayb

Ah, makes sense, thanks! I'll see if I can get the half shaft out and press the remains of the drum off without doing more potentially stupid things to the axle stub!

ayb

"progress" today, now I'm hoping I can use my hydraulic press to separate the remains of the drum from the axle.
IMG_20200711_213242.jpg

1975IH200

One important point is to protect the threads on the end of the axle.
Placing the axle nut loosely on the axle threads will protect the threads and will retain the drum from flying off when it finally breaks loose.

FDChappie

Suggestion, remove the bearing by cutting almost all the way through the inner race with a cutoff blade in an angle grinder. That will get the backing plate off and make the press work easier.

ayb

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I meant to get some steel to slide in between the backing plate and drum remains but getting the bearing off would be much cleaner. I bought what I believe is a replacement hub on eBay and I noticed the guy has the axle as well so maybe there's a chance I can simply replace all of this, however I'm going to try to get it apart and reuse it.

Thanks for the note on the threads, I'm already worried about them from all my slide hammering and puller use, I hope they're not already toast.

It's also looking like the early jeeps used this ten spline spicer 44-1 so perhaps that axle is the same? Everything in the Jeep parts diagram looks just like what's on my truck, right down to the grease fitting. That axle is available new for not very much money.

ayb

Ah, ok that figures. Is there any chance the kb 1 or 2 axle is the same length? That's what's on eBay at the moment.

ayb

I was able to find a new old stock axle shaft on eBay that measures the same as mine so I'm really excited. Hopefully I can throw out what came off my truck and simply replace it all and be back on the road.