• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Best fan for 800 v-8...

68scout

I have a 68 800 with the v-8. I put in an aluminum radiator to help it stay cooler better and it does great at speed. But when I am tooling along slow in the hills, especially after a hard run to get to the hills, or if I shut it down I can hear the coolant boiling in the heater core. I have the five bladed fan. Can I put a clutch fan on my scout? I would be simple enough but for the lack of space between the front of the water pump and the radiator is only about 2 1/2 inches? The six bladed fan would cool great especially when it only engages when it gets hot enough.

68scout

Cool! I do not know the dimensions under the hood of a scout two, but I'm pretty sure they were made to work with the V-8 engines, unlike the 800. Yesterday, before things got really hot outside I made a drive up 6 or 7 miles at a 10-12 percent grade. the engine temp was never an issue. I thank the five bladed fan and the aluminum radiator. It works great when you can get a bit of wind through the system. But, in the past, late August and crawlin around at low speed or just stop and idle the gauge tops out and I hear boiling in my heater core. I guess that I will do some looking at the different fan clutches and see if they make and that are short enough to fit in my tight engine compartment, or a shorter water pump hub or anything like that. I had a mechanic friend recomend that I go with electric fans but I have heard debatable reviews on those. Or there is always the option of a flex fax but would the benefit of those outway hassle?

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
The first thing you'll need is a fan shroud if you don't already have one. That forces all of the air that the fan pulls through to go through the radiator core.

68scout

Have a shroud, seems to work decently. When things are really hot and the scout is moving at slow speeds, it can over heat. When I get some wind through the radiator things cool down nice.